Adapting to lousy gas

I'm toying with the idea of riding my DR-Z 400S in Central and perhaps South America. I was in Peru last year and in some places you couldn't get good gas. I'm wondering about installing a bore kit to give a loaded bike a bit more torque, but lowering the compression ratio in order for it to cope with the low octane gas. Anyone have experience that they can share?

the places that you are riding in give some concern , ever think about getting robbed or worse ?

if i was riding around that part of the world i would have the strongest motor kit that SSW could supply . to give me a heathly advantage over any form of scum , i would ride the areas where the good gas is available .

Im sure there is more than one person who lives there that has a gas powered motorcycle.. No diesel bike needed!getsmiley.php?show=719

If you can buy and run cbr600/1000's, R1's, and fz6's there (Look on the brazil manufacture sites,) Im sure you can run a DRZ. You might want to make sure on a site like adv rider first though.

You would have to carry enough with you for the entire trip and that is impractical . As it is unlikely that it will be available along the way. I never saw it when I was there before.

Can't you just buy octane booster to make the octane anything you want?

The idea is sound. Keeping the bike at reasonable compression ratios will certainly help with the problem of poor gas.

In this case just keep in mind that you want to build a long distance machine not a race winner and you should end up with a sound engine.

As others have said if you look on advrider you will see there have been many long distance drz's all over the world.

what parts of south america are you going to be riding in?

I live in Venezuela and the lowest octane gas you can find here is 91, and premium gas is 95 octane (no ethanol content) and at the price, not going for the premium 95 would be ridiculous. I can fill up my SUV with 95octane for about 3 quarters , yes.... 75cents:moon:! so for a motorcycle its probably a nickel:lol: I still can't believe this country...

In other parts like brazil, chile, argentina the price won't be so low but the octane ratings are pretty much the same. If I where you I would take some octane boosters for worst case scenarios.

PS: if you're passing through Caracas send me a PM and I'll hook u up hahahaha:thumbsup: