2010 250sxf valves out of spec

So I checked my valves for the first time on the katoom today. With 15hrs the intake and exhaust valves were .002" out of spec on the loose end. Pretty dissapointed in this finding. I run the bike HARD. I got 50hrs out of my hondas and yamahas without valve adjustment. So could I just be on the loose end from the factory? I made the mistake of not checking them when I bought the bike new so I would know if they moved. Should I reshim into spec? I've always kind of believed that once you start shimming its a slippery slope. Any advice would be great.

Well I am at work right now, I just remember the are exactly .002" too loose. I am obviously using the guidelines specified in the ktm manual. Why would I use anything else? Measured between the follower and the cam. Are you going somewhere with this or just asking arbitrary questions to make me respond?

Exhaust valves .0047"-.0067" measured at .008"

Intake valve .0039"-.0059" measured at .007"

Congrats, looks like I lied about them being exactly .002" too loose. So lets hear this answer and whats going on. I thought if a valve seat is going the valve would tighten up? Either way 15hrs is too soon for valve adjustment if you ask me.

I had the same issue with my '08 XCFW at 4 hours. I never checked them when new, but I'm assuming they came from the factory out of spec. For the '08 they tightened the clearances over the previous years.

'08

Intake - .1MM-.15MM (.0039"-.0059")

Exhaust - .12MM-.17MM (.0047"-.0067")]

I shimmed them to spec and they are still good at 72 hrs. From everything I have read I see that most have no problems with the valves as long as the bike is maintained properly. I talked to a guy the other day who had 520 trail hours on his bike and he has had zero valve issues. I would have the valves shimmed to spec and would monitor them. Keep a record of the measurements so you can see a trend in movement if it starts.

PMedina, thanks thats what I was looking for. Someone with a similar experience.

ktmfred300, not sure why you think I am getting nasty. Definitely annoyed, but not nasty. Trying to figure out where Mike is leading me on this.

Mike, not really sure why you couldn't tell me the specs or "So,on the loose side of adjustment range is good and they will wear in". I think you thought you knew better but it turns out that you didn't. Maybe next time someone asks a question you will use more factual information than asking others.

I appreciate the goose chase. Don't worry, I'm calm Mike-o.

Thanks Dmauro. I guess I find it odd that they would be out of spec from the factory. This is my first experience with KTM. Do they always setup their valves on the loose side? I don't mind shimming them, just don't like the idea that they are loosening up.

OHHH, someone pull the knife out! You will figure it out some day, maybe not tho. Good luck with the attitude. Of course you had the manual and decided to ask what you claim you already knew, so I guess you do have it all figured out now.

Where are you going with this Mike? The tolerances had nothing to do with my question of why my valves where close to .002" out on the loose end. You never answered my question after multiple replies and when you did you where wrong with your own tolerances. If you would like to explain what I am missing and where you where going I would love to hear it, preferably in a PM though. Thanks

i never took apart a ktm so i dont know if thats how they come,ask the mechanic at you dealer or ron hamp might know. it would be rare for all them to loosen up,they ussally get tight. like i said that little on the loose side should be fine its the tight side you would have to worry about.

Im not wrong, just different, KTM and other makers change specs from time to time without changing parts. Doesnt make it right or wrong. Sometimes the book isnt all knowing. I guess that is why you asked the question, the book and your measurements didnt seem to jive and you wanted to know why or if a problem. I wanted to be sure you were doing it right, as in the way I know it to be done right due to experience and asking lots of questions thru the years, before giving the info so you were fully informed. If you dont like the info or think Im full of BS then dont consider my info. You dont have to start in with attitude. Its not just me, others detected it too. Good luck.

PMedina, thanks thats what I was looking for. Someone with a similar experience.

ktmfred300, not sure why you think I am getting nasty. Definitely annoyed, but not nasty. Trying to figure out where Mike is leading me on this.

Mike, not really sure why you couldn't tell me the specs or "So,on the loose side of adjustment range is good and they will wear in". I think you thought you knew better but it turns out that you didn't. Maybe next time someone asks a question you will use more factual information than asking others.

I appreciate the goose chase. Don't worry, I'm calm Mike-o.

i think your being way to anal about it, slightly (you say .011) loose valve clearances are not going to effect the performance or life of the valves, and that's assuming the manual your using even has the correct valve clearances in it, which in my experiance KTM manuals often have many small typo's and incorrect info in them, and getting agressive towards other users like you are is just making you look like an ass, we're not here to please you mate, mike is one of the more experianced people on these forums and by questioning him, not to mention getting agressive towards him for trying to help you makes you low in my book.

Wow thats crazy about the KTM manual having incorrect info in it. Anywhere I could look to make sure I am getting the correct info? I think the only person I got annoyed with was Mike, which I stated, and thanked others for their opinion. I still think its crazy to run a bike outside of its tolerances, but everyone has an opinion and you know what they say about those. For the record I have already shimmed them back into tolerances and it seems to start a little better, might just be my imagination though.