Tire for mixed use

Looking for some tire recommendations for my ktm 450 exc, need a dot rear tire

it's currently got a dunlop d908rr 140/80/18 on it now, and this tire is poo offroad, it may as well be a slick, however mine is pretty worn, but way slicker in sandy clay than I expected even for the wear

I'm going to put in a nuetech tubless setup, I would run a trials tire if I could find one large enough and stiff like the MT43, I love the mt43, even on pavement, I just run 12psi if I'm doing hardpack/pavement

I'm getting ready to put a Trackmaster II on the rear of my 2010 450 EXC this week. The oem Metzler lasted about 450 miles. I have always had good luck with the TMII's in the past....plus they are pretty cheap to replace.

A 120/100/18 TMII is about the samw size( or a little bigger) than the 140/80/18 stocker.

The TM II is one of the best D.O.T. rear tires I have tried.... but still not that great. For an all around tire my favorite is the Maxxis IT it is NOT D.O.T. I have never had any problems but my street riding is mostly to connect trails. I run the Scorpion Pro (MT83) on the front & they are D.O.T. but have not tried the rear as it looks good but, looks like it would be short lived. here's a link to them

http://www.us.pirelli.com/en_US/browser/attachments/pdfCatalog/moto/SCORPION%20PRO.pdf

the mt43 is pretty small, I have one on my 200

I run it on my 570 just fine. It is a bit narrower than most knobbies that fit my bike, and a taller profile, but don't be fooled by that - it works great for the kind of riding I do (technical trails, poor rider, not aggressive) - YMMV. A lot of people use trials tires on trail bikes around here - from smaller two strokes to larger 4 strokes.

• 2 weeks later...

Tried a D606 yet?

Got damn near 2k miles out of my last one. Good traction offroad (that's what they're built for) and still handle decent on street.

The 525's my primary transportation recently... it's seen more miles than my truck has this month. To/from work, street to riding areas then dirt till I get tired and head home... 230 miles through Yellowstone last weekend, then 150mi of singletrack later that week... i've been real happy with them.

snowmule...really ?

i have only gotten 600miles out of my d606 and it has been trash for the last 100mi.

i hate it on and off road here in so cal....high pressure, low pressure..i cant get that thing to stick anywhere...

i am gonna try the mt43 next..everyone i know loves them except im sloppy muddy conditions, obviously..the size is fine even for the 530..

i often run NON dot tires since it is just a fixit ticket here...i keep an old set of dots around if i get a ticket i will just swap them back and get the ticket signed off

There is no magic bullet here and everyone has different usage, expectations, conditions, riding style, weight, skill, and bikes. This topic has been debated to no end on this forum and others.

Knobby tires will wallow and wear badly on the street and street tires will never get good traction in loose soil. It will always be a compromise. Even if you choose to run a non-DOT tire, you will have to deal with the faster wear if you ride your bike to and from the trails.

Tire pressure is often over looked here. Make sure you run 10-15 psi off-road and 15-30 psi on-road, depending on your tire and conditions. You will have to play with it some the figure out what works best for you and your bike. You will also want to be careful if you are running non-DOT tires on the road, keep the pressures lower and monitor the tire temp. I have seen as big a diff in performance and wear just playing with pressures as I have seen with tire selection. One pressure setting will not work well on both street and trail. If you are doing it right, you should be adjusting pressure when you transition from street "mode" to trail "mode" and vice versa.

Finally, surf flea-bay and buy a second set of wheels for your bike. I mount a set of street-able DOT tires with a rounded profile on one set and a set of pure offroad tires (usually non-dot) on the other.

Finally, keeping trail selection reasonable will improve the fun factor. If I am riding to the trail on street-able tires, I ride the hard pack and rocky trails or riding area. If I want to ride sand and mud, I swap to non-DOT wheels/tires and haul the bike to the trail. Besides, if I am riding the loose stuff, I prefer to strip the lights, plate, gauges, gps, rack and other non-essentials to reduce weight and crash damage.