Kawasaki 250

I'm looking at getting a 250 2stroke for mostly trail riding with occasional track time. I'm 5'11" and 160lbs and have found a 98 KX250 with new topend, plastics and rear tire for $1200 obo. I have also found a 01 KX250 for $1400 obo. Both look to be in good shape, the 98 having a little more use. What would be the best option for my size and riding style? I've heard great things about the 98 year, but is worth going for the newer bike?

Thanks

Edited by CAMG3X

There weren't any substantial changes between those two years suspension wise. Either bike you get you'll have to respring/revalve it anyway. The engines are basically identical with the 98 having alot more power and a woods friendly transmission. The 98 also has the newer heavier swingarm from the 94-96 250's.

If you were talking a 05 and a 01 I'd say the 05 because of the newer suspension. In this case I'd go with the 98. As long as the bike is in good condition. Parts are still readily available for either one of those bikes too.

The main difference, espescially for woods riding, is the transmission gear ratios. The 98 has a much better ratio with a useable 1st gear where the 01 has a real tall 1st. You can swap out 1st gear in the 01 to a 94-98 ratio or swap out the front sprocker to a 12t.

Thanks for the help, going to give both a ride probably first but leaning towards the 98. What should I make as an offer, was thinking around 1000 from the $1200 original price?

Thanks

i kind of agree with ftball90.its a buyers market right now with the economy.just point out what needs to be fixed or repaired on the bike,what it would cost to fix.loball him but dont insult him.i just bought an 04 kx125 for $900.00.guy wanted $1500.00 for it but i kindly pointed out a few things an what it would cost to fix.one of the best things you can do is know youre way around a bike an cost of repairs,or take someone with you that knows.plus cash in hand works to,flash a few bills an see if he bites.i started at 800 an went up from there when i hit 900 i told the guy that was it an started to walk away an he came back with 950 an i said 900 or nothing an he took it.

Kawie

damn, kawie, wish I could find an 04 125 here for that price! Most i find here, in quebec (ack) are 2k almost for an 04 125. Heck, 01s~ are still going for 1800 or so! sad. I'd love a newer 125 jsut for fun to go with my new truck im getting next week!

with my kx125 some tard went all metal malisha with a black spray bomb can.frame(engine wasnt removed)foot break,clutch cover,ignition cover,calipers ect... but lucky for me the tard didnt prep for paint so a little acetone takes it off.plastic was rough,i replace all except for rad covers.i pointed out this stuff to the guy,plus the chain an spockets had seen better days,the axle block adjusters were messed up an had a kit put on to fix them that were installed wrong.

just point out anything that bothers you,look at it the same way as buying a car,if it bothers you than its not right.look at the chain guide an chain an sprockets,linkage an shock beerings,steering bearings.one good place to look to find out if a bike has been crashed hard is the steering stops check them to see how beat up they are,if mashed or missing bikes had a hard crash or been crashed alot.i always look at the stops.tires,bar mounts,basicly anything an everthing.everyones going to tell you that it has a new top end or engine was rebuilt,no one is going to say hey man ive done nothing but ride the piss out of this bike,so take that as a grain of salt.you will miss stuff but listen to that inner voice not the inner child that wants to play.ive listen to that inner child an its cost me alot.go with youre gut feeling,an take a responsible person with you like a parent older wiser friend thats not going to help talk you into the bike that will keep it neutral.

hope this helps

Kawie

Air filter for starters... If the filters filthy then that "NEW" top end isnt going to be so new anymore! Thats the first thing I look at when I buy any used bike! Make sure rims arent bent, spokes loose/broke, play with the clutch to make sure its sound, sprockets, the list goes on and on... I go to the extreme and make them drain the oil with me watching. If they wont do it I wont buy it! Im looking for nasty dirty oil, or a milky looking substance in the oil meaning it hasnt been changed in a long time or if its milky then its got a blown head gasket which means the internals of the motor could be pretty nasty!

Like Kawi said, anything that catches your eye or bothers you is worth mentioning! But dont buy it out of pure excitement! GO WITH YOUR GUT FEELING! If your first impression when you see the bike is that something needs fixed theres about a 95% chance its not the only thing wrong with it! Poorly maintained bikes can turn into a money pit very quick if your not careful!

• 4 years later...

There weren't any substantial changes between those two years suspension wise. Either bike you get you'll have to respring/revalve it anyway. The engines are basically identical with the 98 having alot more power and a woods friendly transmission. The 98 also has the newer heavier swingarm from the 94-96 250's.

If you were talking a 05 and a 01 I'd say the 05 because of the newer suspension. In this case I'd go with the 98. As long as the bike is in good condition. Parts are still readily available for either one of those bikes too.

The main difference, espescially for woods riding, is the transmission gear ratios. The 98 has a much better ratio with a useable 1st gear where the 01 has a real tall 1st. You can swap out 1st gear in the 01 to a 94-98 ratio or swap out the front sprocker to a 12t.

I have sitting in my garage today two complete motors. One is a 1995 and the other is a 1998. I have a complete 1999 bike (with motor lol) that I love except for the tall first and second gears. Is the 98 lower than the 95? Shrub want slow. :ride:

Air filter for starters... If the filters filthy then that "NEW" top end isnt going to be so new anymore! Thats the first thing I look at when I buy any used bike! Make sure rims arent bent, spokes loose/broke, play with the clutch to make sure its sound, sprockets, the list goes on and on... I go to the extreme and make them drain the oil with me watching. If they wont do it I wont buy it! Im looking for nasty dirty oil, or a milky looking substance in the oil meaning it hasnt been changed in a long time or if its milky then its got a blown head gasket which means the internals of the motor could be pretty nasty!

Like Kawi said, anything that catches your eye or bothers you is worth mentioning! But dont buy it out of pure excitement! GO WITH YOUR GUT FEELING! If your first impression when you see the bike is that something needs fixed theres about a 95% chance its not the only thing wrong with it! Poorly maintained bikes can turn into a money pit very quick if your not careful!

very good advice.

I have sitting in my garage today two complete motors. One is a 1995 and the other is a 1998. I have a complete 1999 bike (with motor lol) that I love except for the tall first and second gears. Is the 98 lower than the 95? Shrub want slow. :ride:

Slight difference 2nd and 3rd gears, not enough to notice.  Basically the same.

95: 2.133, 1.687, 1.388, 1.136, 1.000

98: 2.133, 1.625, 1.333, 1.136, 1.000

99: 1.800, 1.625, 1.333, 1.136, 1.000

• Like 1