Rear wheel bearings.

Also, does anybody know if there are 2 different size bearings in the rear wheel, 1 bearing fits pretty tight and the other side literally falls in and out of the wheel, Both of the bearings are Pivot works bearings and have the number 6005 on them.. Im thinkin the wheel bearing bore has gotten wore out?? oversize somehow?? Anybody ever run into this?

Edited by Ud_Luz
Item wanted.

thats what your problem is, The previous bearings seize and then spun in the hub and made the hub hole larger. Its time for a new hub now. A complete used rear should be $200 +-. All fit from the early 90s to present. You can try n fix your hub by using some form of filler, a Loctite product maybe or JB weld, glue the bearing in and mount it on the bike quik n give it a spin and let it dry. It may work and it may not.

thats what your problem is, The previous bearings seize and then spun in the hub and made the hub hole larger. Its time for a new hub now. A complete used rear should be $200 +-. All fit from the early 90s to present. You can try n fix your hub by using some form of filler, a Loctite product maybe or JB weld, glue the bearing in and mount it on the bike quik n give it a spin and let it dry. It may work and it may not.

Thats exactly what I thought, But the bore is the same size all the way out the where the seal mounts, The seal does not even fit tight.. I cant see how the bore would have gotten oversize all the way out where the seal presses in.??

P i v o t Works kits are CCC (cheap Chinese crap), I wouldn't use their stuff if they gave it to me. I warned one of my riding buddies about them, but it was too late, he got all of 300 miles before they were trash and he's a really mellow rider...

If you don't have a method to measure the OD of the bearings and ID of the bore, take the wheel and bearings to a real bearing supplier and have them measure them.

(edited to keep the name of this company from creating a link)

You can go to a machine shop and get some .001 shim stock.

Cut it into a length that will just go around the bearing.

Then place the shim stock in the bore and install the bearing.

It might work, and it might not. I've done it before with sucess.

cheapest route I have found is just to replace the whole deal. The spacers, inner spacers, bearings, seals all wear and lose tolerance. Munn sells everything as a kit at a really affordable price.

I am in need now of rear wheel bearings and will be ordering another kit from them. All the parts thru Motosport were over $120, thru Munn, $76 for everything.

I won't replace just parts of a system.

Enduro Eng. makes nice kits. The secret for bearing replacement is to heat the hub and drive out the old, freeze the new bearings and heat the hub on install and they will drop in without tearing up the hub. You may have a worn hub. Anything Piviot Works is cheap so don't expect any life out of them in very wet conditions.