next step up from 50 advice needed

kid turned 8 in may, has a ktm 50 adventure jr. we have been hitting the family enduro series and he is doing very well. i think the bike is starting to hold him back. what is the next logical choice and the best brand to go with. friend of mine says 65 is the next step up. and to stick with kawasaki. i know he would be on his tiptoes riding a 65. i assume they adapt pretty quick though?

ktm has the 50 seniors which are a lot faster and a little bigger, but i worry he would grow out of it too quick.

i here the ktm 65's are prone to ignition problems, etc.

looking for stories from others who have been in similar situation and to see what has worked out and what hasn't.

My son is 8 and just went from the 50 pro senior to the KTM65. We dropped the suspension and shaved an inch off the seat and he fits it perfectly. It will last for at least 2-3 years from now, depending on how tall he gets. IMO the suspension on the KTM is way better than the KX. The tech on those 65's is awesome compared to the 50's.

My son is 8 and just went from the 50 pro senior to the KTM65. We dropped the suspension and shaved an inch off the seat and he fits it perfectly. It will last for at least 2-3 years from now, depending on how tall he gets. IMO the suspension on the KTM is way better than the KX. The tech on those 65's is awesome compared to the 50's.

the tech may be more advanced, but i don't want something i have to work on all of the time either. i got that when i went from his suzuki 50jr to the ktm, never touched the suzuki, ktm has to be worked on constantly. it is a lot more advanced though.

i would like to find a good balance of performance and reliabilty.

The 65 KTMs are a whole different animal than the 50's. Trust me I had to do a total engine rebuild on the 50. In fact the KTM dealer told me he really doesn't even like selling the 50's because they are a handful. With the 65 it is just normal maintenance like a normal full sized bike. Way easier and just a much better all around bike. Here's my sons.

maxsnewride.jpg

The 65 KTMs are a whole different animal than the 50's. Trust me I had to do a total engine rebuild on the 50. In fact the KTM dealer told me he really doesn't even like selling the 50's because they are a handful. With the 65 it is just normal maintenance like a normal full sized bike. Way easier and just a much better all around bike. Here's my sons.

maxsnewride.jpg

what year is yours? i did hear that the newer ones weren't at bad. is that chain guard stock? i've never seen one at the track like that.

having had riders on both the KTM65 and The KX65 if you can swing it go with the KTM. The quality of parts is so much nicer. No wheel bearing failures easy to pull hydraulic clutch superior suspension. Even things like the quality of the handle bars is so much better on the KTM. Also resale on the KTM stays way better than the KX. However either bike is great step. My son went from CRF80 to KTM SX65 and had terrific transition like I said before my daughter went from Pollini 50 to KX65 and did not do well had to go to ttr then back to KX. Right now she is tied for second overall in 85 modified ahead of 29 other boys so sometimes it just takes a little bit for some kids to adjust.

Amandawood.jpg

We did the transition to a KX65. Yes the KTM's are better overall but the KX's are cheaper and can still take a beating and will resell pretty good. Parts are easy to get also. KTM's MSRP is over 4K and the KX is less than 3K.

Two things we did to the KX65 to lower it. 1. Moved the forks up in the Triple clamps. 2. Bought a used Kouba link (http://www.koubalink.com/) here on TT to lower the rear of the bike then resold it when he grew out of it.

Good luck! Glad to be out of the 50s!

Thanks for all the info guys !!

I have heard about how often you must wrench on the ktm 50's but the ktm 65's seem to be the bomb !! I am holding off on getting my son off of his ttr 50 as long as possible to try and make the jump to the 65's ,so we can skip the ktm 50.­čśĆ:excuseme:

got my boy a KX65 and he loves it. he just turned 7 yrs last month. he is stepping up from the ktm Jr and CRF50. he really enjoys riding the KTM Sr and the KX65.

i will get him off the pee wee bikes as soon as our season ends in a few months and start him racing on the bigger bikes.

TTR's are 'play bikes'. Great for kids to ride and super reliable. But you don't want to race them and you REALLY don't want to jump them.

KTM's and KX's are both great bikes and will serve the purpose well. KTM builds a better 'quality' bike by using higher-grad parts, hydraulic clutches, etc. Having said that, you have to be more meticulous in their mantainance or they will be finicky. Take care of them and they'll be great, super-competitive bikes.

If you are the type of dad that just throws in another bit of pre-mix and change the oil, then the Kawi will be more your speed. They take the abuse better.