Product Review - RICOR Fork and Shock Setup

So first off, I'm not affiliated with RICOR, just a guy lucky enough to live in the same city and in the right place and the right time. Some guys that I ride with have the RICOR setup on their KLRs, so I called them to see if they had anything for the DRZ. They have some stuff for V-Stroms, XR650's, KLR's, etc. I had a nice chat with Brian at the shop, and since I live here in Vegas where they are located, I offered up my DRZ for some prototyping. They had the bike for a few weeks, and I recently had the opportunity to put a couple of hundred miles on the finished product up in Utah.

Before I comment on the setup, I consider myself to be an average rider. I'm not the fastest guy, or the slowest in the group. I ride 90% dirt/desert here in NV. I have a 2001 DRZ S model, with E forks equipped with Racetech springs, and a stock S rear shock. I played with the suspension settings based on feedback here on TT, and had it feeling ok. The front end would still wash out occasionally, and I would bounce off/deflect off of rocks and other obstacles. Knowing nothing about the dark art of suspensions, I put all of these characteristics down to my (lack of) skill.

The guys at RICOR set me up with an 'Inertia Active Suspension'. From what I understand, it's valving in the fork and shock that allows the suspension to basically determine if the wheel is trying to move, or if the chassis is trying to move. To be honest, Brian explained and even showed me how it works, but most of it is over my head. I'm no expert on this, so if I explain it incorrectly, I apologize in advance. A more complete and technical explanation can be found on their website if you are interested.

I have to say that I'm absolutely blown away by the difference that this new suspension made. Deflection is virtually eliminated - the front tire just absorbs anything in it's way and doesn't change direction. In turns, I tried to get the front to wash out, and almost couldn't. On hill climbs the rear really made a huge difference as well. Usually the rear would bounce around and slide a bit hunting for traction. No more of that now - the rear just hooks up. I really love two-track and a little more open riding, and this totally transformed my riding. The bike feels so good, I had to re-learn how to ride it, because I didn't have to slow as much for corners and could climb more serious stuff. My buddy that I was riding with even commented that I was riding much better and much faster than usual. This setup just flat kicks butt.

In any case, I thought I'd share my experience with you all here. TT has been a wealth of knowledge for me, so I hope this helps someone out there. At the very least, it's nice to know that there is another option out there for the DRZ, and from what I understand, it's a totally different way of tuning the suspension. I don't think that the DRZ stuff is listed on the website yet, but you can call or email Brian at the shop and I'm sure he can fill you in on any details - like I said, I'm by no means an expert on suspension, so he's the guy to ask for technical stuff. I can just tell you that it works.

Here's a link to their website if you want to take a look.

http://store.ricorshocks.com/default.asp