Rank Your Favorite Off-Road Motorcycle!

I am curious to see what real world people rank as there top three off-road motorcycles and the reasoning behind it. Magazines seem to favor KTM as the best lately, but I know opinions vary and thats why I'm asking. So list your favorite and breifly describe why!

1. CRF450X - versitile, easy to get power, and can be made to do a variety of tasks.

2.YZ250F - light, handles great, reliable engine.

3. KTM400XC-W - all round great bike, stable, easy to ride, just lacks the fun factor of the 450X in the power department.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really any of Jap 4 and top Europeans are great machines. They are all capable, reliable and easy to ride c/w bikes of a few years past. There are subtle differences and this is what appeals to individuals. I love my Husky 450,but would be happy on a Beta, KTM, Sherco, Husaberg. I also love my WR250F, what some soothsayers might indicate as lacking in character is really a throughly competant little bike that does everything without fuss.

1- XR650R- Can do anything, Motocross, trail, enduro, desert racing, hare scrambles, commuting, supermoto and its got stacks of power to do it, Great looks and compared to the CRF's etc easy maitenance and it take anything in its stride

2- XR250/400R- Also can be put up to many of tasks, trail, enduro, desert, hare scrambles, commuting, supermoto, not as stylish as todays bikes but it'll take almost anything thrown at it

3- CRF450X- Alot more matenance intensive but light, power, and can be put up to anything the 650R does but the 650s got more power ­čśĆ

1st husky 144

2nd 200XC (close 2nd)

a 250 or a 300 would be nice for trail riding. the 200 is more trail ridable then the 144. as is i love racing the both of them. if its an open course its the husky hands down as it has longer legs. the 200 is a drag racer and just as nice now in the tight.

3rd kx250

4th YZ400F (heavy ass turd 4T)

1st 1989 Honda CR-500 Loved it. Did everything on it.

2nd 1991 Honda XR-600 Great bike in 1991.

3rd 2009 Honda CRF-450 Realy great bike. Race it and have fun.

I have been ridding since 1970. But I guess my best bike would be the one that got me started, 1969 Honda Q-50.

1st ktm 200, so light and easy to flick around, can be lugged or rode like a 125

2nd ktm 450 exc lots of power, and street legal trim, another 2k and you have a SM setup for the mountains

3rd XR400 apocalypse bike, will be the one you want when zombies attack, does everything "ok" and has a tractor motor

Off road is too general. The best bike for woods is not the best bike for the desert. Personally, I ride tight woods and tried out an 09 ktm 250 xcw. That bike was amazing. The suspension is setup perfectly for stuff like that. But take it on an mx track or some big desert whoops and you'll bottom all day. Gasgas's ec and the ktm xc's are still plush but a little stiffer than the xcw.

It comes down to preference and the terrain you ride. My next bike will be a ktm xcw, either a 300 or a 250. If I rode different terrain I'd have a different choice.

There's nothing wrong with a 230F Honda for trail riding. Great engine, low, plenty of torque. You don't need the latest to have a great bike.

I never said you did have to have the greatest. I figure it needs to at least be a full sized bike if it's going to count though.

1. xr600 great all around bike for a big guy, decent supsension, best motor ever and reliable.

2. ktm ex400. bets woods bike ive ridden. not to much not to little.

3. dr350 cuz i have one! their cheap, make decent low torque,are 6 speed and keep guys on a budget in the trails. not the best bike but good enough to finish a enduro on.

4. crx250 they feel great in tight woods.

im sure their are better bikes like some of these enduro 2strokes this list is just my perferance and ive ridden alot of different bikes.

I suppose because I own one currently Ill put the 450X 1st. Seems to do everything I personally want out of a bike.

I finally rode a 300xc. I liked it due to it being very light and felt snappy. I can say I did not like the power delivery of it. Great response but too mellow compared to the 450.

Bullet-proof XR's. They are on my list fo sho!

A crf230??? What is that a joke???

Haha, I was thinking the same thing when people say 200s. They take the worst traits of 125s and 250s and put them into one very disappointing bike.

As has been said, it all depends on where you ride. But for the greater colorado area here is my list.

250/300XC

450XCW

any 125