DR-Z 400 Cuts out at high RPM

New to the board. Couldn't find a thread discussing this. Sorry in advance if there is one.

Just purchased an 01 DR-Z 400 K. Bike starts easily and runs well till you get up in the RPM. At that point it starts cutting out. Not being anything more thana a "shadetree" mechanic my idea is it is either carburator related or spark related. Just wondering if anyone has experienced this and what they did to to remedy the problem.

Thanks in advance.

Yes it does, depending on street or dirt models I think it changes.. mines the KLX400R and I'm pretty sure it's around 9810 or so, if not then that's what the valves start to float ­čśĆ

Sounds like jetting, did you buy the bike local to you?

Elevation plays a major role with jetting as I learned on a recent trip.

Also check your air filter and all the simple stuff first, chances are it's jetting related.

New to the board. Couldn't find a thread discussing this. Sorry in advance if there is one.

Just purchased an 01 DR-Z 400 K. Bike starts easily and runs well till you get up in the RPM. At that point it starts cutting out. Not being anything more thana a "shadetree" mechanic my idea is it is either carburator related or spark related. Just wondering if anyone has experienced this and what they did to to remedy the problem.

Thanks in advance.

Probably a good idea to remove the carby to check what jets are present..and give it a clean out...

Post your present jetting info /altitude and average ambient temp. and you can be advised on what you should be running....

If you are not hitting the rev limiter ,the most likely cause of your problem is a blocked main jet...

Also give the air filter a clean...

Is the bike stock ?...How many miles are on it.? and do you know the service history.?

Thanks for all the quick replies. I bought the bike from CL and don't know the maintenance history. It has a White Bro's pipe as the only engine mod I know about. Will check the carb and get back with you on jetting. I bought it local so unless it was transplanted then the jetting should be ok unless it is clogged. We have been having very hot and humid (115 F Heat Index) weather which could affect performance. Is there anyplace to find out what RPM the rev limiter kicks in?

Hi Had this issue and it turned out to be a loom wire that had trapped and partially cut, when you twisted the throttle it would cut out but was fine at low revs, trouble is can't remeber which wire it was, I'll have a look when I get home

Thanks for all the quick replies. I bought the bike from CL and don't know the maintenance history. It has a White Bro's pipe as the only engine mod I know about. Will check the carb and get back with you on jetting. I bought it local so unless it was transplanted then the jetting should be ok unless it is clogged. We have been having very hot and humid (115 F Heat Index) weather which could affect performance. Is there anyplace to find out what RPM the rev limiter kicks in?

Your engine will run richer in hotter weather..You could try removing your MJ and replacing it with the next size down...and see if your top end improves..

Due to the age of the bike and not knowing its service history ,I would still be thinking the carby should be removed and inspected/cleaned....

Do you have a tacho ?..Rev limiter cuts in at....

10,000 rpm for the S/SM...

10,500 rpm for E...

Cheers,Craig

You'd be surprised how many bikes are jetted terribly. Never assume.

You need to pullthe needle, get teh code and clip position, then pop the main out and see what size it is.

Does the stutter happen in all gears the same or does it get worse the higher the gear you are in?