Cr500 Yes or No?

Hi I was wondering how good these beasts are in the tight trails of new England. If everything goes well then I would be picking up a service Honda one and getting it road legal. It would mostly be for the road and to hit the trails at the side of the road. I have a cr 125 now and have ridden a yz 250 and loved it. I would keep my 125 for the tighter trails but I would use the 500 for cumuting. I have heard there too much and I've heard there the best trail bikes. I'm 6' and 200 lbs. Would I be better off looking at a mxc 380 or something. Thanks all.

that is another thing i was conserned about. is this because there is so much vibration or cuz they eat gas so fast or somthing else? i would not be taking long trips but still. what would be a close to comparable on off 4t bike?

Thats the problem..there will always be a compromise with dual sport bikes either it has great offroad capability on it handles like a demand on road. Problem with the two strokes is they are not comfortable being held at a steady fast speed, they surge and it strains the motor. Now you could convert a 450 for dual sporting but you will be rebuilding it pretty often if you commute with it. I Would recommend a drz400 E or a big bore ktm. If your only connection trails and wont be going on the highway the service honda a ktm 300 or 380 will work.

the KX500 has more controllable power because it has a power valve where as the CR500 does not and it delivers the power much harder because of that. So you may want to think about a KX500 as well. Aluminum Frame if you can find one. KX500AF's aren't as popular as CR500AF's but they are just as good.

It's not that a two stroke isn't capable of dual.sporting (i own one) its that their not comfortable staying at one speed, and.its.hell on the motor...and yeah they would be great commuter bikes if they had 3 cylinders to smooth out the surge you get at speed with a single cylinder bike but iv yet to see a dual sporter with that combo.

Hi I was wondering how good these beasts are in the tight trails of new England. If everything goes well then I would be picking up a service Honda one and getting it road legal. It would mostly be for the road and to hit the trails at the side of the road. I have a cr 125 now and have ridden a yz 250 and loved it. I would keep my 125 for the tighter trails but I would use the 500 for cumuting. I have heard there too much and I've heard there the best trail bikes. I'm 6' and 200 lbs. Would I be better off looking at a mxc 380 or something. Thanks all.

I have no experience on commuting on one but I'm 5'11 220 and I must say that unless you are a glutton for punishment the cr500 is a bit much for the tight stuff. I had a steel frame though so maybe the alum SH will require a little less work but mine wore me slap out everytime I rode it. I know the temptation though. No one could deter me when I had my heart set on getting one so go ahead and give it a try. ­čśĆ

• 2 months later...

The KX 500 will flat wear you out. Hands down has best bike I have ever owned and the only one that I ever felt I had to respect or else....And I mean it will get you in trouble in a heart beat. I get an adrenaline rush just getting ready to go ride.

Tex

I love my CR500 on tight trails. Ride one before buying if you can. The main reason I got mine is because I can't afford a 4 stroke (up-front cost.... I firmly believe maintenance cost is about the same). The 500 has the low end only a 4 stroke can match, but still screams when you get into it.

I will be using it for commuting as soon as my rebuild is finished... its only a 2 mile ride to class though. I don't think I would like it for any extended highway trips. I think the big bore 2 strokes make better commuters than the smaller ones.

• 3 weeks later...

Just practice wheelies every where you go when your are commuting that way you wont be staying in one rpm too much ­čśĆ. I love cr500s. I am looking for one right now. They seem to sell soon as they hit the market here in Las Vegas unless they are ridiculously over priced. I agree that maintenance cost is the same. Two strokes are half as expensive to rebuild but four strokes last twice as long so i think it equals out in the long run. I think if you have the balls you can ride a cr500 anywhere you want to go. If my old man who is over 50 can do it with out much recent experience on a dirtbike Im sure anyone can.

Perspective:

I'm 5ft 6' 120 lbs soaking wet. I ride a yz 250 2t. I love the power, I love everything about it. Your 200+ and 6ft. I would say if I have no problems handling my 250 I don't see you having alot of probs w/ a 500. I say go for it man....flywheel weight that smoker and blow by every 450 in the land. Woot woot!!

every joe scmoe I know told me "ohhh a 2 stroke 250 is gonna be WAY WAY too un controllable, way to powerful for you...blah blah blah " I'm not a great rider but I love love love the extra 2 stroke power......and its not all that unmanagable like the 450 riders want everyone to believe.....

I wouldn't get a CR500 for tight trails, the power comes on too fast you'll end up being a squid that tears up the trail. I'd reccomend something along the lines of a KTM300 or a Maico 500/490 or next year will have a 380 again. Those have smooth power bands and still have the hit of a big bore if you want it.

I would definetely get a service Honda 500af. I have a 96 cr500 andalmost only ride tight nasty trails with it. I geared it down and it is awesome

. Smooth wide power and throttle control is

everything. It is easy to ride and fast. If you ride it like a 125 then you will be winded real fast that

comes back to technique. There are many nice

bikes out there but a service Honda 500af is in a

different league. Service Honda also offers a 500afx

model which is the crf250x frame and suspension.

Now that is a woods machine. Service Honda can also set up the suspension and engine for your wants too. They really can make a killer

bike set up for you. These engines will also last for years before you even have to put a piston in it.

I' owned both the cr500 and the Kx500 and Not once did I consider it a commuting bike. I mean they made decent trail bikes but the raw power is almost demonistic. I agree the big bore 2 strokes are not made for a steady speed of commuting. The Kx had great power and it was a bit more controllable then the Cr but the Cr had more uncontrollable power and that's what excited me I guess. LOL who knows this is a different time and those were different days. Good Luck.