looking at a xr250 97

I'm looking at getting my first bike. I'll only be riding trails and don't want to spend heaps of money.

One of my mates has offered me his Honda XR250 1997. Everything I have read about this bike seems ok and he has given me a good price. Its done 19,00kms (12,000 miles).

What are your thoughts and is there anything to be careful about?

As long as it is maintained fairly well, that bike should almost last forever! Just check things like wheel bearings, shock and linkage bearings, steering head bearings, and the condition of the sprockets and chain. Make sure spokes are tight, air filter is clean, and the oil is changed every few rides and the bike really should have no problems. Those XR's are some of the most bullet proof bikes you can get your hands on, and make great starter bikes, in my opinion.

Also, make sure it starts cold. If your buddy already has it running when you get there, or it is warm, let it get cold and make sure it starts cold. Buddy or not, sometimes people like to warm a bike up for you to make sure it starts easier when you are there.

Good Luck!! If it turns out to be good, you will be getting yourself a great bike!

I agree on everything kcdavis has said the most important is make sure that engine is not warm and has not been started and make sure it does not smoke. Also check your brake pads and rotors also just a few months ago I had a friend that bought a 250f and the owner said that it had oil in it to find out it did not so his bottom end is locked up and he just bought the bottom end parts it costed $400, so be sure to check the engine oil. Hope you have good luck and will be riding soon:ride:

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Thought i would give you an update and to thankyou for your helpful posts above!!! :banana:

The XR250 97 fell through in the end, my mate didn't want to sell it. Ended up buying a XR250 88. Bike seems to be in good condition and runs pretty well! Just really need to find the right mix of petrol and air...

Anyway feels to to pack up for the day and have some fun!!! :eek:

Cheers

Jodd