2009 KX250f, need some advice!

Looking at picking up a 250f and have it down to a kawi and two other bikes. Just need some advice on this deal and some other quick questions.

Really its between this kawi (possibly a stock 08 for $3000) or a 08 yz250f with pipe and 10hrs total for $2700

WIll this bike be reliable? i know it takes money to stay on top maintance but i dont want a huge money pit or something that ill be working on more than i ride! I am looking for the best overall package of reliability, handling, power, supension for the best price!

2009 kx250f:

-Total hrs: 25, gone through every 10(piston rings change no matter what, valves check and in spec and have NOT been adjusted) guys very particular

-stock piston, pro circuit cams, new TI valves

-pro circuit clutch springs

-FCR suspension (160lbs)

-Trans gears have been shined up i guess?

-stock parts also, extra plastics, filters, etc...

Price: $3500

09kx.jpg

only other person to respond so far hs been a 2008 yz250f w/ 10hrs and Dr.D pipe for $2700..

08yz.jpg

need advices asap! lol looking at getting a bike in the next two days!

Edited by jjv101

Looking at picking up a 250f and have it down to a kawi and two other bikes. Just need some advice on this deal and some other quick questions.

Really its between this kawi (possibly a stock 08 for $3000) or a 08 yz250f with pipe and 10hrs total for $2500

WIll this bike be reliable? i know it takes money to stay on top maintance but i dont want a huge money pit or something that ill be working on more than i ride! I am looking for the best overall package of reliability, handling, power, supension for the best price!

2009 kx250f:

-Total hrs: 25, gone through every 10(piston rings change no matter what, valves check and in spec and have NOT been adjusted) guys very particular

-stock piston, pro circuit cams, new TI valves

-pro circuit clutch springs

-FCR suspension (160lbs)

-Trans gears have been shined up i guess?

-stock parts also, extra plastics, filters, etc...

Price: $3500

09kx.jpg

only other person to respond so far hs been a 2008 yz250f w/ 10hrs and Dr.D pipe for $2500..

08yz.jpg

need advices asap! lol looking at getting a bike in the next two days!

Don't ever use suspension valving as a precurser to buying. It should be setup for you so someone elses setup well means diddly squat!

Second, It's hard to believe that a bike was super taken care of unless you personaly know the person who took care of it.

Third, fourstrokes have this myth they are money pits. Well thats true if you don't do regular maintaince and let the thing detonate. If you take care of them they are equal to the cost of a two stroke that generaly requires a top end around twice a year or more. a four stroke can go 100+ hours with no major work good luck with that on a twosmoke. Yes, once a top end is needed you're looking at around 500-700 dollars for valves, piston, & gaskets. If it detonates well, you can be in the 2000 range. What I suggest is just cheacking your valves every 5 hrs, and changing the oil regularly and well airfilters and proper cleaning before/after each ride.

Other then that I can't tell you which bike to choose. I'd rather say buy a new bike so you know what you're getting into but money is a big factor in that.

Not using suspension as a factor, just stating what was done to it.

Just looking for opinions on which deal would be all around better and reliable!

also the only thing throwing me off on the kawi is i thought 08 and newer had black covers on both sides??

Edited by jjv101

There shouldn't even be a choice. Only get the Yamaha if you want a bike that goes straight even with the bars on full lock. My '09 KXF is light years ahead of my old POS Yamahas.

And the covers on the KXF have been bead blasted hence the gray color. That's a good sign because people who do that are usually anal about keeping their bikes clean and fresh.

I would get the kawi. Try to talk him down since you have to drive there or meet him half way.

tried that, he wont move. well i can get it for 3300 w/o the yosh pipe. might as well just pay the 3500 and be done with it and get EVERYTHING. making the drive to go look at it and hopefully get it in the AM!

keep opinions coming, and i will keep all of you updated!

these seem to clash:

valves check and in spec and have NOT been adjusted

new TI valves

shouldnt have said new, but my understanding is when the bike was bought new the guy sent it to eleven 10 mods to have some work done so im assuming they were put in then? I am getting all stock parts that came off the bike, my dad use to be a honda/kawi tech back in the day, he knows bad valves or pistons when he sees one lol. Just fromt he pictures and whats in the back ground i know this family has money, nice RV, nice house, nice trucks... guy was very particular about his sons bikes! seems to be very honest