Kdx 220r - strange engine noise

I got an unusual engine noise in my 2002 220r that sounded like $$$ going up in smoke, and I'm baffled. Only had bike a week, it was bone stk and had probably 30 hrs or so on it when I got it. I haven't even gotten to the trails with it yet. It runs rich, so I had just removed airbox lid ( 1st mod ) and changed pilot jet to a #40 ( I had a #42 I was going to put in it , but that is what was already there ). Well, engine was cold and I was revving it to clear it out some and all of a sudden a noise started coming from the engine that I can only describe as like a worn-out electric motor or maybe a dry or "spun" bearing. I am not familiar yet with water pumps or KIPS or any Power Valves, but the first thing that came to mind was what I have read since I got the bike about 220's breaking stk pistons. I don't think that was it because it still idled until I killed it, and after waiting about 2 or 3 minutes, I started it up and the noise was gone. Does anyone have any idea what this might have been? Sounded expensive.

Since the noise was gone after I restarted it, I decided to go ahead and try it .

Today I rode it about 4 miles on the little track in my yard, mostly just cruisin but wound it out in 3rd & 4th a few times and all seemed fine. It even feels better with the # 40 pilot and the fresh gas @ 40:1 with Maxima castor 927.

1. When the noise started, I had just changed the jet and had removed the filter for cleaning, so airbox was wide open and seat off and I was standing there revving it. So with the intake noise amplified like that, could it HAVE been the KIPS system I heard.

Does the KIPS rattle all the time, or only at certain RPM. Whether I run it easy or hard, I don't really hear a change in engine noise while riding.

2. Does that oil mixture sound ok and safe. That's the oil and ratio I run in my '79 250 Elsinore for Vintage Racing. The KDX plug looks great now (greyish) as compaired to black and oily before. ( airbox lid completely removed, CDI bolted inside box)