I think I've outgrown my DRZ300

As the title says, I'm sad to say it, but I think I am going to be stepping up to the world of modern enduro bikes.

This last 6mths I have been really enjoying riding, and after getting my suspension rebuilt and tuned to suit me I find I am riding a lot faster. I have always been a torque rider and now I find I am ringing the DRZ's neck for every bit of power. And i feel I might even take up racing a bit.

Since I am surrounded by riders on modern water cooled MX and enduro bikes I feel like stepping up and getting a WR250F. A riding mate has a 06 model with a full engine rebuild with a 290 kit for sale. I have nearly convinved myself I should get it.

Could everyone please convince me to save my money and stick with the wiseman's machine the DRZ250

It is hard to resist the new bike itch. The WR250F is a very reliable bike, but it won't have the torque on the bottom of the DRZ (you have a 300cc kit, don't you?). A test ride is the only way to evaluate the WR. I have always had air cooled bikes and like the simplicity. The DRZ cylinder is 1/4 of the very successful GXR1000 air cooled sport bike of yore. Its your call, mate!

Yeah, I have a 300kit, and do love a torquey engine... and Aircooled, I see so many buested radiators in the woods.

But this WRF I am considering also has a bigbore kit, and I think the Yamaha is the only modern enduro i would buy because of its reliability.

I've got the test ride lined up for 2 weeks time... hopefully for the sake of saving my bank balance the WRF sucks at hill climbs. I am absolutely loving doing hill climbs on my DRZ at the moment. Showed up some big boys on the weekend (including a new husaberg 570!!!)

Mini, I have a mate at work seriously considering trading his '06 wr250f for a drz400. He is sick of the constant maintenance. Not that it breaks down, but there is always something needing a fettle. The bloody USD fork seals are the worst. If he doesn't do the old film negative insert after every ride they leak all over the place.

I ride my drz250 on an MX track and have a ball, just never going to win. As a bush bike 300cc and I'd be rapt.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I did it, had a 95km trail ride on the WR290F on saturday, and put a deposit on it.

I followed up with a 50km Ride on the DRZ yesterday, and I'm sorry to say, but the poor old DRZ is a long way behind.

My Old TT350 sold on EBay last night, so hopefully by the weekend I will ahve the new Toy.

One thing that I really need to fix on the WRF is the seat, my butt is still sore, and I need a gripper cover too.