Best trails around Bakersfield,Barstow or Needels

Alright so I need ya'lls help. Im done with my 6yr enlistment in the USAF and me and my girl are leaving Nor.Cal driving south on I5 to Bakersfield and taking highway 40 to Texas! I plan to leave around mid August so were loading up the bikes into my '93 F150 with 190,000 miles and plan to have one hell of a road trip! I looked at the W2R but it just showed the spots and had very little help. My cr250 and her ttr 125 smallwheel with dirt tires so no dunes please. So what is the BEST spot around Bakersfield, Barstow or Needles, would like to stay close to highway 58 & 40. Thanks!

Take I5 to Hwy 58 East to Hwy 14 North

Ride Jawbone, Dove Springs, Redrock State Park, El Paso Mtns, Cal City, Spangler Hills

Continue on Hwy 58 East to I15 North to 247 South.

Ride Stoddard Wells and Johnson Valley

Head back up 247 to I15 North / I40 East to Flagstaff and do some riding there.

You'll find some map links here: http://ridersonline.org/socal/areas.htm

Kennedy Meadows would be your best bet. Don't have much info for you on it though. Search around here.

KM would be out of the way unless you change your route. Not a great time if you don't hook up with a guide. Noobs tend to get burnt out on the whooped out trails near the camping areas and never find the good stuff.

The spots Bolt directed you to will be your best bet. FYI, those areas will probably be in the 100 degree temperature range in mid August, past Barstow, and especially Needles will be 110+ degrees, we are talking deadly hot, so prepare well.

Cal City has Borax Bill's park, some shade areas, showers, and Cal City is 10 minutes away, for supplies etc.

the areas bolt suggested will have a high probability of killing you if you don't ride at night or before 9:00 (FINISHED by 9). The desert is not kind in the summer. I can't suggest that anyone ride there. I know guys do, but....

Anyway, I'd suggest crossing the sierras before Bakersfield, even if you have to go N a bit and go over at Yosemite. Then come down 395 and ride the Mammoth area. There's pics on another current thread. The weather will be great, and your girl will have lots of fun.

I agree about the heat. But for a guy heading to the military in TX who has already decided on his route I figured you could handle it. But I have misters on my canopy and AC in my RV between rides to keep me safe out there. 😏

Personally, I'd be more worried about dragging my truck across needles than even trying to ride out there. Thats why I suggested no riding until Flagstaff after Barstow.

It just depends on how committed you are to your route. Have a great trip.