Bolt Hole in Gas Tank

Hello all,

I got struck with some bad luck. I replaced one on my bolts that holds the plastics to the tank. The bolt was too long and I ended up putting a bolt sized hole through my gas tank behind the mounting tabs for the plastics that mount to the front of the tank.

Do you believe it would be possible to have the hole welded/filled. I am suck a idiot bike does not even have 300 miles on it and I already broke it. 😏

If it wasn't behind the tab filling the tank with water and welding away would not be too hard but behind the tab is no fun. For now you could get creative with cleaning well all around the tab, getting a short length of threaded rod (cut it off a bolt if you need too) that fits the thread, then mixing up JB Weld and sealing all around and in the tab, screw in the short threaded rod, seal around that with JB, and then use a nut to hold on the plastics once it is hard.

Well the welding didn't work as good as we wanted too. So we stopped before making any more trouble and sanded all around the hole. We decided to make a patch for the hole out of some allumim siding, then very carefuly made it fit in the hole and around the whole.

Once that was done we mixed up some JB weld (wish I could have found the marine grade), put it in the hole then on the patch, and then all around the patch. Waited for it to cure and then put another coat of JB weld on. Basically we fill the litte inditaion under the mounting bracket with the JB weld.

I am hope this will work because I actually like the design on the tank with white scheme. So if anybody wants to get ride of there 2009 white tank let me know.