Will the rear rim lace to the front hub?

Picked up a spare set of wheels and I'm looking into a "poor man's" supermoto setup. Was thinking I could save a few $$ by lacing the stock rear rim to the front hub and only buying the rim and spokes for a wider 17" rear setup. Anyone done this? Any advice, sources for spokes etc etc.. is much appreciated.

The angles of the spoke holes in the rim don't match. This misalignment will cause stress and tension on them, leading to failure in the long run. Not sure if there is enough meat to redrill them to the correct angle.

Yeah i thought there might be a problem along those lines. I was hoping that Buchanon might make a specially bent spoke that "might" work. I've put torque on spokes to put an 18 rear rim on a 19 front hub but it was only a 1" difference and it worked OK ish. A 17 to a 21 is just too much I suppose. damm... That could save some $$.

If your looking for a poor mans setup, keep the stock rear (with a fatter tire) and run a new 19" front. Selling your stock front should offset quite a bit of the cost. With some good tires this will give you some great street handling. Looks cool too, Much better that the dinky 17" front IMO. ­čśĆ

+1 (or is that +2?) on going with a fatter tire only on the rear and doing a proper 17" front wheel with a corresponding larger tire. That is what i did with mine as i got laid off and could only afford to go with one at a time. I run a 130 tire on the rear and while it is a bit "pinched" with the narrower stock rim, it functions fine. I'll soon go with a proper sumo rear wheel from Pro-cycle, but in the meantime this has worked surprisingly well.

As usual, there's no real substitute for quality and doing it right. I think I'm just going to work on my slush fund and buy the rim/spoke kit and lace em myself. Seem to be plenty of "How-to" info on lacing rims. Doesn't seem too hard. One think I'm NOT interested in is the modern rim swap. The SV front wheel Katana read looks OK but there seems to be a LOT of gray area as far as fitment.