Sand riding on a 250 tips?

if you have the sand tires already that is a start. if you only have a rear sand tire i actually think the front sand tire or soft tire helps more so then a rear esp for turns. i loved the Bridgestone 101 front sand tire last winter

it was my first time in real sand too and it was pretty deep in areas where we were. area i had most issues was in the turns i would always be falling over. once i kept my momentum going i had no more problems. the sand just really slows the bike alot esp with a 250 so i was used to reg dirt and i would be coming to a almost stop and just falling over. you need to trust the wheel and commit and follow through with a steady throttle. you don't even have to use alot just keep on the power even if a little and you will see the bike will follow through and you won't tip over. esp on the high bank sand turns where it is really high and then really deep you really need to keep on the power through the whole turn and carry the speed where reg dirt you can charge to the turn then either stop and 90 degree it or makes mistakes and you won't fall, in deep sand you stop the power through the turn and it is a high turn you will def fall over

other then that in the other parts you want to use more of the rear shock and the front to float over the bumps. so leaning back on the bike helps get the front over in the deep stuff and getting traction to charge through. staying on the pipe will keep the bike going. if it is deep you will want to stay on the pipe. sand is def great training bc it is all or nothing where reg dirt when your tired you can coast around, deep sand not so bc the bike doesn't work well when your not on the power

the sand is hard on a bike esp a 250 bc you are gonna be using all the power bc sand robs the bikes power over reg nice dirt. i would head in with a fresh oil and filter change and air filter as well. bring an extra air filter too in case it is dusty or sand gets in side the air box bc a clean filter will help with your power. i also change my oil after long sand days, just bc i am anal so that is up to you

good luck and have fun. once you get the hang of it, sand is a blast to ride. i was frustrated at first bc lets face it nobody like falling over and getting a mouth full of sand and an ass full of sand as well falling down your pants lol. but try to have fun. best advise i can think of is to keep your momentum going esp in deep high bank sand turns

• Like 1

i'm no expert but i know that def helped me alot, and alot of the faster guys there were riding like that so i tried to follow what worked.

also maybe post in the riding tech section as you may get more tips there too

• 1 month later...

Try to stand up a lot and squeeze with your legs! I think that is really important in sand compare to the more hard tracks. Also the faster you go, the easier it gets. So when you have a problem, just pin it. That will solve the problem 90% of the time :ride:

I always start out in second gear. If you try to start out in first gear, that can make you tip over, because of too low momentum. Also, look before you leap. 90% of wrecks on the dunes are from people thinking the backside of a jump will be clear, and a good landing. On a 250f, dont push it too hard.

• 4 years later...

Quick question.. Does anyone ever have a diff size rear sprocket on there paddle tire in the dunes? ATM I'm running a 13/52.. Was wondering if that gear ratio is good enough for the sand or if ppl use a diff one or more popular one for the dunes

Quick question.. Does anyone ever have a diff size rear sprocket on there paddle tire in the dunes? ATM I'm running a 13/52.. Was wondering if that gear ratio is good enough for the sand or if ppl use a diff one or more popular one for the dunes

Also

I'm on a 2014 crf250r port/polished head and a racing cam- in case that helps with my question. Thanks