1990 Powerstroke Opinion

I have a 91 f-350 diesel farm truck. They aren't the powerstroke yet, that was introduced in the 94.5 model year. Still a reliable motor. It does look clean just watch if it has a clutch and a 5th wheel plate and it had to be rebuilt it was used for towing. That isn't always bad, but it can be if it was abused. I also know you can turn the pump up and advance the timing and it will run like a bat out of hell!

Ad has been deleted....

Like mxredneck said, 1990's weren't Powerstrokes. The only thing they had in common with the PSD was displacement and manufacturer (Navistar).

They were decent engines, they really didn't have enough power to hurt themselves (to be honest, a 460 has more hp and the same torque rating). Weak points of the engine are glow plugs, glow plug controllers, and O-rings on the fuel injection lines. Oil leaks, but that's to be expected on something 20 years old.

Ad has been deleted....

Like mxredneck said, 1990's weren't Powerstrokes. The only thing they had in common with the PSD was displacement and manufacturer (Navistar).

They were decent engines, they really didn't have enough power to hurt themselves (to be honest, a 460 has more hp and the same torque rating). Weak points of the engine are glow plugs, glow plug controllers, and O-rings on the fuel injection lines. Oil leaks, but that's to be expected on something 20 years old.

Ad has been deleted....

The O-rings are a huge problem. I have replace all of them since I've had the truck. It sucked having to re-prime the truck anytime I went to drive it because they would leak fuel until the pressure went down.

The O-rings are a huge problem. I have replace all of them since I've had the truck. It sucked having to re-prime the truck anytime I went to drive it because they would leak fuel until the pressure went down.

Probably runs a heck of a lot better now, too.

I have one in a 91 1ton dump truck. As stated they are a good motor but not a powerhouse. If you get an 90 or newer they had fewer glow plug system problems than the older ones. Air leaks in fuel lines a very common. Keep the anti cavitation addative up in the cooling system and they run a long time. I would have a fuel cap with an air fitting attached to it to make fuel leaks easy to find. It will cost you $20 to buy an cap and modify it but it will save you hours and hundreds of dollars in un needed parts.