230 pwr up kit tuning

hey felt good enough to take the bike out today, yay! :D

the bad news is the carb tuning is wayyy off after the pwr up kit install. it chokes, starts, idles fine but on the road will not take heavy throttle or WOT at all. the engine just kinda' shuts off and gives up. it's worse in higher gears. I got smoked by a freaking vw ๐Ÿ™‚:D

I've moved the needle from the middle to the 2nd to bottom; air screw 1.5 to 1.75 but still can't ride the bike with gusto let alone go faster than 43mph. like it's not getting any gas :D

thought it might be the bbr black box but put the stock one back on and still no go.

suggestions?

What part numbers did you use. Maybe your main jet is to big and is flooding it. Have you taken any plug reading after it dies to see what the pkug looks like.

Last thing that it sounds like to me is some sort of a vaccum leak. Check to make sure that everything is sealed up good.

the main must be too fat then as it's only WOT that it chokes badly. has to be since on WOT the needle is fully lifted and not part of the equation. again, engine stalls on WOT throttle, will not rev, speed way down. did not have a chance to look behind if black smoke.

it's a 132 main (stock 102 right) paired with the 921 pwr needle as has widely been bandied about on the net. I will go back to stock needle and jet if I have to troubleshoot this. the plug looks fairly clean if borderline lean? (white porcelin with only slight coloration, electrode is tan/clean, first couple of threads black ash) but it's not fresh. prior to this jetting electrode was ash white on stock settings so a big improvement there. just way too fat on the main like you say.

btw I'm at sea level. so I don't see how a 132 jet would work for anyone at higher elevations but they say it does. ๐Ÿ™‚

Yo, Parky

Go up a size or two on the main. The 132 main works good for a drilled out stock baffle, but is a touch lean for a bike with baffle removed or a high flo pipe (fmf). I'm running a 132 with the stock baffle drilled WAAAAYYYY out, and everything is OK. When I pulled the baffle completely out, same symptoms you described... good idle/mid but kinda farty on the top. Giver more gas!

interesting. so if I stuck the baffle back on...

I will try and report back. the thing I hate most is burning my fingers working on the hot engine farting around with the carb. I need some a those fancy gloves.

but you think it's lean not rich? I'm confused. ๐Ÿ™‚

My best semi educated guess is too lean on the main, yes. Easiest way to tell is to pull the plug and take a look at the color (lots of posts here on how to get a proper reading). If you're running rich, your insulator will be sooty and black. Lean will be white. Proper color is about the same as a piece of toast, a nice dark tan. Higher flow exhausts generally need richer jetting than a restrictive one.

the porcelin is white with only a spot of brownish. the electrode is still like bare metal, kinda' dark. first few threads are black & sooty. stock exhaust with sound plug out, cut airbox screen + uni filter, pulled box plug. these are only mods to the bike. so I could put the sound plug back in and the bike should run great again right? didn't think it made that much of a difference! no time to play today ๐Ÿ™‚

ps. if you've seen the pwr up needle, what do you think about it? doesn't it seem the stock needle would be much richer due to taper?

reinstalled the bbr cdi.

tried the stock needle still ran like crap so put the 921 needle back in. tried it with clip all over the place still bogging. put it on the very last clip but no time to keep test riding.

hey know what though, I had to replace the needle jet holder (p/n 16165-KEG-961) prior to all this. maybe that's the wrong one??? or the jet is faulty/clogged! haven't checked either I don't have a jet reamer tool. what's the next few sizes up on jet after 132? I don't know how that numbering goes. places to buy an assortment of jets?

so bummed about this, been waiting a long time to ride!

GOT IT! the damn main jet vibrated out and was sitting at the bottom of the fuel bowl gawddaminit! FOOKER!

so bike running great now. still a hair lean, but got a couple mini wheelies and also ran with the big bikes on a "spirited pace" night run ๐Ÿ™‚ the little 230 did good, every stop was drag race for me then just keep the steam on for the turns (IRC GP110 dot tires). I think surprised some of them when I went by but of course later got pushed back to sweeper. is ok, I practice wheelies and stoppies. latter so far ellude me since the forks have so much travel :D max speed now up from 43 to... 63.9mph!!! yaya! hahahahaLOL this cracks me up coming off a liter bike. gonna' ask you guys what street sprocket to get for long hauls. I think needs to go even lower for rock crawling.

anyways that's the ramble, I had hella fun tonight! oops with one exception but that another thread.