Fuel shut off options to "Dry Bowl" carb? Also Stock fuel line size?

I've got the stock vacuum operated petcock. I've been thinking of ways to "dry bowl" the carb (thanks to Eddie Sisneros for this tip)for down time due to pilot jet problems.

I'm thinking of putting an inline fuel shut off valve. I saw one by "WSM" that might work. Or I was thinking I could just pull off the vacuum line to the petcock and run the carb dry that way.

What is the stock size fuel line on these 1/4 in or 5/16 in. ? Thanks for any info. c good

Hi Eddie:

Thanks for your prompt reply. Will draining the bowl get all the fuel out? Or at least enough to solve the plugged pilot jet problem? I always though one had to run the thing dry, then pull choke for the last couple of seconds to get everything empty? If draining the bowl will do the trick then that's what I'll be doing to save having to pull the carb all the time.

What are your thoughts on fuel additives/stabilzers (ie seafoam, startron, stabil) also in addition to draining? Thanks again for any input. c good

The best way is to actually remove the bowl. Draining is the next best. Dry running leaves about 1/2 of a float bowl still in it. Try this experiment. Dry run it, then drain the bowl.

I store with a full tank and Stabil. I never drain the carb but then again, I keep Stabil in my bike from November through March and still run the bike at least once ever two weeks.

• 3 weeks later...

Anybody got a pic of the drain screw on the carb? I've only worked on my carb once and that was like 4 yrs ago. I need to drain the gas and run some seafoam through it. I had a batch of bad gas and now its studdering and knocking.

If that doesnt help I'm going to have to pull the carb tear down and clean it.