Title and tag my 99 WR400. HELP.

Here is my dilemma. Mom used to work for the county police at the impound lot/abandoned auto. Bought a 99WR400 from there at the police auction in Febuary. I was refused a title at the MVA when I applied for one, due to the fact that the idiot whom owned it took the odometer, or trail odometer off. When sold the milage was 0 on the MCPD bill of sale. Had the bill of sale corrected from a motorcycle to a dirt bike, same thing. They will not give me a title without a certified bill of sale from the impound/abandoned auto lot with milage. My mom will not lie. And she retired just last month from the county government. The VIN# was never entered into WALES/NCIC, aka, the system, by the first owner.

I would love to buy a WR400 frame that is titled, but cannot find one. Any suggestions on what to do? I live in Maryland, Montgomery County.

The MVA is the most brutal example of bureaucracy in action (or inaction if I may say). Merely possessing a bill of sale will likely place you S.O.L. in regards to titling, registering, and plating a bike in Maryland. Do you have the Manufacturer’s Certificate/Statement of Origin (MSO or MCO)? If you do, does it state “For Off-Road Use Only”? To obtain a title from that, the bike will first need to have all the necessary equipment to pass a brutal Maryland State Inspection. If you have to spend money on turn signals, mirrors, tires etc, save all your receipts! Without an inspection certificate, it’s impossible to prove your bike is road-worthy in the People’s Republic of Maryland. RAM Cycles on East Gude Drive does inspections while you wait. Do not waste your time at the Gaithersburg or Frederick MVA trying to argue your case. You will befuddle the clerks and their supervisors all the while losing hope and frustrating yourself.

Call the Glen Burnie MVA headquarters and ask for Brian Mauldin in the garage/inspection station. He will likely provide you will the steps you need. I just plated a KX100 (2-stroke) with handwritten & non-notarized Bill of Sale from the previous owner and “Off-Road Only” MSO with only my name on the back. It was a frustrating ordeal which eventually led me to bringing the bike to Glen Burnie after being denied at Gaithersburg and Frederick. The Glen Burnie garage gave me a confirmation inspection certificate and a written order from Mr. Mauldin forcing the clerks give me my plates. Mind you they only do this on Tuesdays between 9 and 12:30. Good luck on this tiresome journey ahead.

I have no MSO, just a bill of sale. I tried emailing an international title company but have not heard back from them. Apparently they can register just about anything in Maine. They want $750 to register it for me and to send me a title from Maine. I have not heard back from them yet. I might try another company, but getting someone on the phone looks pretty hard. It might be possible that way. Any other suggestins on who to use as far a title service companies go?

Edited by Alexandros

If you can find out where (dealer) the bike was originally purchased from, you can order a replacement MSO with your name on the back. Then if it states "For Off-Road Use Only" you will have to follow the steps I've already described to you. Since their is no odometer, you will need to purchase a Trail Tech Vapor speedometer and rotate the tire until it reads a plausible number (10-200). When you get the Maryland Inspection done along this journey toward titlehood, they will write that number down on the official certificate. On your Application for Title, you should include that exact number from your new odometer/tripmeter.

We ran a VIN check and all that came back was it was imported as an off road vehicle. I am torn as what to do. I think I might send it to Greece where I spend one month each year. Or keep it here as a dirt bike, or title it an supermotard. I did get an email from a title company stating that they can title it for me. Have to think about this one.

Do you know someone that lives in VA? They can get you an off-road title that will then need to be converted to a regular title. Then to a MD title.

Read item "B" http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+46.2-644.1

You'll still have to get it inspected in MD which will be a big pain if you can get someone to do it.

A lot of work to title a bike but cheaper than $750.

That title law was added in 2006. I believe because of people selling scooters on street corners or out of the back of a van. Since the law says you have to have a title to sell it they had to allow bikes sold before 2006 to get titles.

physical inspection in VA, kinda hard for us in georgia to get up there with the bike for the inspection, I have a crf250x I need to get plates on for my wife, I'm probably gonna have to find someone to do a bonded title

VA has had an annual safety inspection for years. The Northern VA area has emmission inspection requirements. Other than that I don't know of any required inspections. Maybe they have an electronic record of safety inspections that show up on their computer system.

I dont know, I do know people down here were able to get the tags and keep them, but the door closed a year or two ago

obviously they were not getting them inspected for safety up there in the past, it's a moot point now, the door was closed

talk about a hijacked thread if I've ever seen one.....

the original poster lives in MARYLAND (with different rules, procedures and folks behind the counter).

I live in the same county and by effort and persistence tagged and titled a bike (came with no odometer) for which I only had an unofficial (handwritten) and non-notarized Bill of Sale. Alexandros-study my earlier posts, find out which dealer originally sold the bike, and order a replacement MSO. They cost about $25. DO NOT spend $750 on sketchy titling services. You (Alexandros) are your own best advocate!😏