'01 YZ250F Starting Issues, Need Advice!

Hey all,

My first post here. As stated in the title, I have a 2001 YZ250F. I am not a very experienced mechanic, so I have very little knowledge. All I can tell you is what I'm experiencing with my bike.

So, to begin with, the bike does run, and it runs good. Getting it started is the problem... this could be simple, but I don't know, which is why I'm asking. In order to get the bike started, it seems like it requires way too much fuel in the carb. I have to twist the throttle 15-20 times before it will fire. Also, it only starts when it is kicked at TDC, or the point where it's hardest to kick, which is where you want to avoid kicking it, right? Well, I have to in order for it to start. I have broken 2 kick levers because of this.

Also, the bike smokes where the header connects to the engine like there is oil leaking there or something. Not sure where from...

Any pointers and advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

Check the valve clearances

TRy a new (not just clean) pilot jet

Ensure the choke actually fuly opens - sometime the detent fails and the choke only stays out part way.

Make sure the hot start is working properly

What color is the smoke - That is not good. You need to throughtly clean the area and inspect for leaks.

Check the valve clearances

TRy a new (not just clean) pilot jet

Ensure the choke actually fuly opens - sometime the detent fails and the choke only stays out part way.

Make sure the hot start is working properly

What color is the smoke - That is not good. You need to throughtly clean the area and inspect for leaks.

Rejetting sounds like a good plan to help with the fueling issue. I'm pretty sure my choke is working properly.

Smoke is white and only appears when it first starts up after sitting awhile and when sitting at an idle, which I don't let it do for long, I know they run hot when sitting still. Like I said, it comes from the header pipe/manifold area. It looks "gunky" around that area.

Something else I wanna mention, I know your supposed to put the kick lever just passed the TDC then kick it, but when I do that, nothing happens... it only starts when I kick it at full compression. I think this is my main concern... as I keep snapping kick levers and I'm sure that much more damage can occur.

• 9 months later...

i have an 01 yz 250f. I was experiencing a problem with smoke n oil coming out from the front of the motor. My problem was someone removed the manual decompression mechanism from above the exhaust. This left a gaping hole ha blew out smoke n spit oil. i bought a billet decompression plug off e b a y for 10 dollars.

i have an 01 yz 250f. I was experiencing a problem with smoke n oil coming out from the front of the motor. My problem was someone removed the manual decompression mechanism from above the exhaust. This left a gaping hole ha blew out smoke n spit oil. i bought a billet decompression plug off e b a y for 10 dollars.

GB5291,

I figured out that is where my oil was leaking from too, only my decompression mechanism is still in tact. Perhaps there is an o-ring or something that is allowing oil to leak through that port?

I haven't really looked into it because it hasn't affected the performance of my bike and it leaks at such a slow rate that my oil level hasn't even dropped dramatically. Plus I haven't had much time to dedicate to my bike lately.

To touch on the starting issue I mentioned earlier in this post, I did adjust the valves last year and that helped with the starting a lot! So thanks for that advice William.