Stalling is fun!

Just kidding ­čśĆ

My buddys 05 450 that we finally got running adequately has a tendency to stall every so often and no it is not a rider issue because I hopped on a ripped it up for about 15 minutes and when I slowed down to park her she died before I had a chance to hit the kill switch. It was almost like I had hit the kill switch thats how it felt when she stalled. Not a bog, more like a complete and instant engine cut. I was thinking maybe something to do with the ignition but again I am clueless right now.

I have seen on TT a few people talking about a "hot stall" and how the Boyesen QS solved their stall problem. Has anybody had an 05-07 450 zook with a stalling problem that the QS solved/helped etc?

Thanks!

Yes, I put a Boyesen QS on my 05 and 06, and it virtually eliminated the "hot stall" and made hot starts easier. If you're patient you can get a QS1 or QS2 off eBay pretty cheap. I also put the hot start assembly for an 06 on my 05 so the lever is on the bars (running to an ASV clutch perch with hot start lever).

I would start by replacing the pilot jet and adjusting the fuel screw via the sticky thread at the top of the jetting forum. The pilot jet is small and cheap ~$5-7 and easily clogged, which makes the bike not want to idle. I've already had to replace the pj on both my bikes this year (stupid ethanol gas!).

Ya the pilot was clogged and needed adjustment. As of now the carb is spotless and nothing is gummed up. The carb settings are pretty much spot on as well. Plug looks great idles fine with choke on and off and runs pretty well all around. The only 2 issues are the sudden dying every so often (much more than we'd like) and its incredibly stubborn as far as starting goes. Cold or hot its really finicky. Sometimes 1st kick while other times it wont start after 34234 kicks unless you lean it up against a tree or something so you can give it a good whomp.

• 2 weeks later...