Lay bike over, floods, won't start.

So I'm definitely not the greatest rider there and I tend to lay my bike over when I race because I tend to pushing to hard. I ride a 2006 Honda CRF250R. Whenever I lay it over my bike dies right away and floods. I've slowly learned after many wrecks to shut off the gas, pull the hot start, and hold it wide open but it still takes a dozen kicks and doesn't work everytime. It starts fine cold or hot no matter what with 2-3 kicks everytime but if it gets laid over I know I'm screwed. Does anybody know what the problem is and how to fix it? Thanks so much.

Pretty normal, all of my other bikes did this as well as my friends.

The float bowl is full of fuel and when you tip some of that fuel goes right up the pilot circuit and main circuit into the engine. The rest of the fuel goes out the vent lines and the overflow line on the bottom of the bowl.

That little bit of extra fuel is all it takes to flood an engine good.

I don't give my bike any throttle when I kick it over if it happens, usually it starts in about 3-5 kicks.

The best advice, DONT let the engine die!! If you can that is. Keep the throttle going when you fall, hold in the clutch and blip the throttle while you lift your bike. If you can do this usually you'll get some sputtering in the mid-low range but you can ride it out in a few seconds.

there's a trick to it

all you have to do, is hold the throttle wide open and kick it over 3-4 times, then let go of the throttle and kick, it should start

you may have to mess with the hotstart to do this, I never have to

Or get an auto clutch and it just wont die anymore!!

I am surprised by how many spills in SX or MX do NOT end up with a flooded bike... they have time to get up, run back to their bike, and the thing is still running!

I wondered if they are running rekluse (I doubt it in SX)

I assume their bikes are just jetted spot on, so as long as the back tire is not dragging on the ground, it'll keep running.

Although a rekluse would not hurt for sure; that being said, the advice above is spot on...

I'd say don't do anything except hold the throttle wide open and kick.

If you have an accelerator pump (pumper carb) it is critical you not close the throttle between kicks.

It'll start while flooded and clear itself out the rest of the way (will save a few kicks at least), soon as it starts to rev up lower the throttle.

Dave