false neutral??

is it possible that while shifting from say 2nd to 3rd i didnt engage 3rd all the way and the bike just reved out than poped into gear after the rpms dropped? im worried there is something wrong in my trans, there all small metal shavings in trans oil but i figured there from the clutch. my clutch basket is also grooved, i want to switch the one hinson from my 03 into my 08 if it will fit, anybody know if it will fit? i dont think it will but id like to know

the false neutral thing has happened to me every now and then. i always just attributed it to sloppy shifting. your clutch off your '03 will only work on bikes up to '07 the parts numbers change up at that point. maybe pull the basket and file the grooves off the basket to buy some more time before dropping the coin on a new basket. my .02

Chances are, with your symptoms, the metal shavings are from the gear dogs.

Have fun with that....

Well i ran a magnet through the trans oil only to find an extreamly small amount of steel dust, also I stuck a magnet into the drain plug hole and there was no steel in there. The clutch basket is stock and when this happened I was ridding pretty sloppy... can this happen though? can the bike not engage the gear all the way? when i pay clost attention and make sure i shift fully it doesnt have trouble or make any sounds...

Sure, the particles could be from the basket, but, with your symptoms, I'd say your dogs are starting to wear down and round over. Problem is that when it doesn't engage all the way and then pops back in it's extremely hard on the gears.

Sure, the particles could be from the basket, but, with your symptoms, I'd say your dogs are starting to wear down and round over. Problem is that when it doesn't engage all the way and then pops back in it's extremely hard on the gears.

thanks captain, do you think i can continue to ride it this way for a while? or what? what are the dogs? i am drawing a blank here... im guessing im going to have to split the bottom end eventually...

If your are not deliberate but sloppy with your shifting, it can get inbetween to gears (false neutral). And as soon as you release the shifter, the detent mechanism will force it to one gear or the other.

thanks for the replies, so I'm guessing there is probobly nothing wrong in my trans and I'm just a worrier. What are some symtoms of problems inside the trans to tell if parts need replacing? I mean I'm not looking forword to splitting my cases but if it must be done I'll take it on... It's not really the work itself it's the part costs. If I do split the bottom end I'm going to replace every bearing and seal plus any internal parts that are out of spec. What are the dogs captain speaks of?

If it's not happening a lot, I wouldn't worry too much but with metal shavings in your oil I'd be concerned. Once it starts popping in and out and getting false neutrals it's not going to get better but only worse.

These are the gear dogs. This is a pic of a gear from an '08. Notice one was missing, obviously a problem, but if look at the others you can see they are shiny and starting to round. That is enough wear to cause the shavings and symptoms your experiencing.

ade2aea3.jpg

Edited by The Captain

just wondering but what is a "ton of shit" i am always worried about these things that dont see much daylight as i have an 04 and most people dont replace there transmission unless broken?

mainshaft, countershaft, all gears, all forks, fork shafts, bearings, shift drum, and cracked the right side case.

there has to be a solution or prevention for this problem, maybe run exta gear oil and slways shift with the clutch?? what could put stress on the gears than those two things above.... its funny because my 03 transmission probobly has well over 300 hours and the trans has no problems, i shifted without the clutch for years and ran it hard... i did replace bearings once... why does it seem that the newer models have the shifting problems?

also if you have a crf450r post in this forum if your bike has had trans problems and what was the cause...

also post if your bike has ever not fully engaged into a gear...

also if you have a crf450r post in this forum if your bike has had trans problems and what was the cause...

also post if your bike has ever not fully engaged into a gear...

Mine '09 trans crapped the bed a week or so ago. It started with the symptoms you described, and progressively got worse until it finally wouldn't stay in any gear and would not shift into fifth. Ran 700cc's of amsoil syn 10-40 since about new, and changed it every 4 hrs. per the meter. I need new shift forks, drum, all gears and bearings. I'm probably partially at fault though, I wasn't "easy" on it to say the least.....­čśĆ