So whats the real reason quads arn't allowed on tracks?

Im from New England here but dont worry im a two wheel type of guy. The problem is all my buddys are on four (I know I shouldn't be hanging around with them type lol) but why exactly are quads not allowed on tracks? More likely to get hurt or I heard they destroy the track more? Whats the REAL reason?

Well, my local track allowed quads for a day to see how it would do, but the county complained about dust problems (more than the bikes), so they had to cut them out. And of course the typical, blowing out ruts.

Thank god I'm not the only guy who hates them!

Oh and BTW all my drunk lazy friends tend to love them.. and they have never even considered trying bikes.. seems odd..

One buddy wants to ride with me and he's really good on the quad and races a bunch and has like 30k invested in his.. but all the good tracks I mention to go to he's like.. "oh they don't allow quads.." Finally I just told him he is wasting his talent on the damn thing and just get a bike already!

Thank god I'm not the only guy who hates them!

Oh and BTW all my drunk lazy friends tend to love them.. and they have never even considered trying bikes.. seems odd..

One buddy wants to ride with me and he's really good on the quad and races a bunch and has like 30k invested in his.. but all the good tracks I mention to go to he's like.. "oh they don't allow quads.." Finally I just told him he is wasting his talent on the damn thing and just get a bike already!

30k in a kwad ­čśĆ

Why do i hate quads? a pictorial may be in order -- LOL, however , these quad pics were obviously taken at a place they can do the least damage -- the dunes.

A quick look through would suggest that safety gear is a high priority for quad riders, (although the chick with the volleyball player physique showing off her gams is ok) --- oddly, the coolest guy in here is likely the old dude on the camo quad with the Bud Light.

Somewhere in here is the tool with the extended swingarm quad, -- just look at him -- laughs!!

Then there is the guy getting some "break out the tape measure" air time on a utility quad complete with tool boxes and the only head protection being a knit cap.

Oh, and gratuitous confederate army flags thrown in here and there are de rigeur with well equipped quad riders --- (Hey doofus's -- that war was 145 years ago and guess what, the stars and bars is what flies over the white house)

Have fun looking and laughing

059-1.jpg

100_3809.jpg

ruffriderb.jpg

MyPics6-11-06115.jpg

partyatgrampaspond152.jpg

8fb6.jpg

PICT0459.jpg

LittleSahara.jpg

DSC00262.jpg

Picture007.jpg

Picture012.jpg

the 3 most local tracks allow quads.. just not the same time as bikes and the biggest one grooms every time before bikes get on... the second biggest (private no races just ride days in the spring) grooms a couple times a day.. and the smallest (oval car track with little arena style track in the middle that only holds races once or twice a month never grooms it...

i've rode with quads and raced in an open race 85-500 dirt bike and quad and been in two collisions... both time i was passing on the inside and it got into my front tire... I lost both times.. and was more than pissed for a few hours one of the times...

There are 4 local tracks around me that have regular rides and 2 of them have banned quads, 1 has limited their ride time and the other has no limits.

The reasons given for the 2 that don't allow them was poor turnout. 90% of their customers were on bikes and it was not worth annoying the greater to appeal to the lesser. Both of the tracks that allow quads are owned by people who like to ride them.

Personally, I don't like riding with quads. It just feels dangerous to be on the track next to one. They take up half the track width, they kick up more than double the roost and they don't have the same level of control as a bike. If I'm about to pass a quad, I will intentionally wait for a section where I can do so as quickly as possible. It makes me nervous to be next to a vehicle that weighs triple my own with an erratic riding style.

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned yet that the tracks bikes ride on aren't designed for quads. It kind of ties into the whole safety thing, but to me at least it seems pretty obvious that bikes and quads are completely different, and therefore would deserve different track designs. I know a track around here has a beginner track, an expert track, and a quad track. They do this for a reason.

dust and safety. those things are made for going slow and gettin drunk

true and you forgot about how most quad riders have a need to take saws and drills to their exhaust so that everyone in a 10 mile radius hates all of our guts.

Quads destroy the turns from their sliding antics. They allow a person with minimal skill the ability to go through turns a great deal faster than they could on a bike. This develops a false sense of skill and security, a dangerous combination when mixed with a pack of whoops or a 60 foot step up.

Edited by tjb531