stuck bottom stem bearing

if these methods don't work can you press the stem out of the bottom triple? then pop the bearing off, put new on, then press back together??

That`s what you are supposed to do..press the stem out............

But on my XRL a few weeks ago i replaced the steering head bearings..i had it in a press and no way it would budge......i took a grinder and ground it down in 2 spots..........then put it in a vise,,tightened the vise till the inner race cracked then pulled it off with my fingers....

B

That`s what you are supposed to do..press the stem out............

But on my XRL a few weeks ago i replaced the steering head bearings..i had it in a press and no way it would budge......i took a grinder and ground it down in 2 spots..........then put it in a vise,,tightened the vise till the inner race cracked then pulled it off with my fingers....

B

I remembered my friend had same issue with his XR600. If it were me, I'd use a thin cutoff wheel with a dremmel, I'd split it off, like said above.

Put the hold steering stem in the freezer for 20 minutes and grind a couple recess's in the bearing and then wack it with a chisel and hammer. Mine split with one good wack. Wear safty glasses and gloves , it will be cold & parts will fly. ­čśĆ

i did mine last week with a hammer and a screw driver. took over an hour to get the bastard off my cr 500.

in hindsight, an ankle grinder would not be such a bad idea.

you can always use the oven to heat it, but it will stink out the house.