Just got my first green bike

Well I picked up an 04 KDX 220R tonight. I'm coming off a YZ 125. So far I have only gone around the yard and neighborhood a little. What an extreme difference. It almost feels like a 200 4 stroke I had in the 90s.

The bike looks almost new, the seals are all good and it came from a riding buddy so I know it runs great. It's a hellofalot heavier than my YZ so I'm worried about cornering etc.

So what do I need to know about known issues, changing riding style etc?

I'm going to hit the trails for a while tomorrow.

thanks

ETA: Just noticed the KDX stickies up top. I'll start there.

Sappers, I am no guru, just a fan of lime green. 😏

mildew, congratulations on your purchase. You are right. It is a big difference. They are two different bikes designed for two different things. Perhaps a trip through some rock, root and slimy mud trails will show a difference as well.

A common concern is that the fork springs are too soft for almost all rider weights. Looking into getting the correct rate fork springs is a common area to lok into.

Another concern is to keep the various suspension bearings cleaned and greased. It's just the nature of the environment in which it is operated. If someone were to just ride it on the street all the time, then it would not need service often. Ride it in the water, mud and slush, then maintenance goes up.

One difference in the two is the amount of top end maintenance required. Since it does not rev as high as a YZ125 and you may not get the chance to totally wind it out on trails, piston and ring life is greater on the KDX trail bike compared to the MX bike.

I stayed up way too late last night researching this bike. There are lots of posts here about it. I checked out some of the links that others had posted and found good info there too.

I always try to get a manual pretty quick after getting a new bike. Yamaha provides full shop manuals in pdf for free. Is there a free manual for the KDX floating around?

Yamaha doesn't provide all the manuals for free. Some are indeed free, but some are $79.

You can look on the Kawasaki site for the owner's manual. They recently have made some available for download. The service manual is a "for sale only" item. Look on eBay for a used or even new one. I have bought one for every KDX made, so you should be able to find one too.

Yamaha doesn't provide all the manuals for free. Some are indeed free, but some are $79.

Anything for the last 10 years or so is free.

I took the bike out for 30 miles this morning. Had to quit due to a front flat.

It's a great bike. The suspension is too mushy and I really had to work hard to keep the front tire up on the bigger jumps. Besides that the only other thing I need to adapt to is fast, sharp corners with steep berms. It just feels like it has a fat ass.

Over all it's damn near perfect for me.😏