Overnight on top of the mtn

Went with my uncle and cousins over to their family place in PA again this weekend. We usually ride and fish most of the time we're there. Ive camped a bunch growing up, but never had the opportunity to just sleep the stars. They wanted to camp on top of the mountain at one of the views.

After it cleared up, I got them to crash out there with me. Was incredibly clear about midnight, and saw half a dozen or better shooting stars. Slept terrible, but was great whenever Id wake up, seeing the clear sky. Was up to see the sunrise over the mtn as well in the morn. Pretty cool just throwing some gear on my DR and just taking off. Snapped these in the morning.

stars1.jpg

stars.jpg

stars2.jpg

stars3.jpg

Looks like some real hard core camping there bro! I am long past the days of being able to sleep like that without some kind of cushion. Who was your buddy with the tent?..that's my style, complete with a THICK pad, ha ha.

Great pics though. Being a westerner for the most part, I/we all out here forget (or never knew) that there are some great places back your way, to ride, camp, etc.

Well done.

Well, you can see in the 3rd pic, Ive got a, deflated, air mattress up with me under my bag. Threw my little battery pump in my bag, and was good to go..so I thought. Apparently, last time we used it(tried using it to sled ride w/same guys actually) we must have put a hole in it. That, or somehow ripped it in the truck, lol. I wanna pick up some quality gear for more adventure camping, been looking at the cabelas self inflating pads. Seem to be hot ticket, and relatively light/ small enough to pack on the bike for a trip too.

Ive got some back issues from falling off a roof a few years ago. Have 2 compressed discs in my lower back. Never lets me sleep that well. I do just bout whatever I can to get quality sleep. Like I said, didnt get much sleep that night. But had a good time anyways.

Nobody ended up using the tent. They set it up, and didnt sleep in it. They ended up coming out and crashing with me, obvious from the pics. Theyve never really done any tent camping, so they werent crazy about sleeping under the stars. But as the night went on, they grew a set, and ventured out of the tent, lol.

Both my younger cousins. 16 and 17. Older has his endorsement already, and younger has his temps. Will get his as soon as he takes the driving test. Theyve got a younger brother just bout to turn 15, and itching to get his temps so he can ride with us too. He just stayed back at the cabin though. Ones got Yamaha XT225, the other with the Honda XTR 250. First bikes for both of them, and both have/had a bike before getting a vehicle.

I don't see any beer, thats why you didn't sleep.....LOL

I use to do the same open air camping thing except our vehicle was a motorized flat back canoe and we'd float down the remote part of river accessable only to very light drafing boats like ours. We'd motor back upstream the next day.

Looks like you had fun. I'm planning to load my ruck sack on the DR and do the same thing up in the north Ga mountains once things cool down a bit.

I don't see any beer, thats why you didn't sleep.....LOL

I use to do the same open air camping thing except our vehicle was a motorized flat back canoe and we'd float down the remote part of river accessable only to very light drafing boats like ours. We'd motor back upstream the next day.

Looks like you had fun. I'm planning to load my ruck sack on the DR and do the same thing up in the north Ga mountains once things cool down a bit.

I plan on doing the same thing once it cools down a little. was thinking of a few places i know near dahlonega.

I did the sleeping under the stars a few Decembers back in the Nat. forest north of Houston, Tx. Laid down, and mosquitos start buzzing in my ears. They went away when it started to rain. The weatherman predicted no rain and clear skies. I finally packed up around midnight and drove home in a gully washer. If I had only brought my tent and not tried Easyrider-ing it. Texas in winter, gotta love it.

I did the sleeping under the stars a few Decembers back in the Nat. forest north of Houston, Tx. Laid down, and mosquitos start buzzing in my ears. They went away when it started to rain. The weatherman predicted no rain and clear skies. I finally packed up around midnight and drove home in a gully washer. If I had only brought my tent and not tried Easyrider-ing it. Texas in winter, gotta love it.

Wheres the fun in that? Thats a WAY better story than, I camped out, I slept good, and my bike got wet. ­čśĆ

The kicker is that the next day was a beautiful riding day, and I was at home. Next time I am bringing my tent. Then I can sleep outside without bugs or rain. It's Murphy's law. If you bring the gear, you will not need it. If you leave something at home, that is the one time you need it.

I plan on doing the same thing once it cools down a little. was thinking of a few places i know near dahlonega.

Yep! I go up there quite a bit, about once a month. I have freinds who live up there who I stay with by the Chestatee River and they ride also. Mostly street bikes however. But I've ventured out into the Chattahoochee National Forest on many occasion. You also have Wissenhunt OHV trails if you want to do some tricky riding on the dual sport.