Going green. But I won't miss you.

I won't miss you cause you'll be in front of me. I got a KDX220R to replace the YZ for woods riding. I just rode around the yard and neighborhood a bit so far. It's a slow/low revving lugger. I was just beatin up the 125 too bad in the woods. I've always been blue so damn Yamaha for discontinuing the WR 2Ts before their time.

One of my riding buddies actually bought it for me with the agreement that I'd sell the YZ and pay him back. It was still a difficult decision but here's what it came down to: Bone stock 02 YZ 125 vs like new 04 KDX220R with Devol rad guards and skid plate, Cycra bark busters for $1400. I only ride woods.

apparently one of the best trail bikes ever made besides the WR

The one think I found strange about the KDX 200/220 was that first gear was so low it was unusable and 2nd gear was so high that you had to rev first gear to the moon and drop it into 2nd gear pretty quick in order to get 2nd to catch and not stall. It was the only KDX I ever rode, so maybe the one I rode had a problem or the owner geared it crazy. I would have expected that being a purpose built woods bike that you could lug it in 2nd or 3rd gear all day long.

I will say this, I rode with the owner of that bike since he bought it new in 2000. Maintenance was not on the top of his priority list. After a few years it looked like it was a 10 year old bike. We used to joke with people and ask them to guess what year his KDX was and inevitably they guessed 5-10 years older than it really was ­čśĆ. But, it always started on a few kicks and never left him stranded ­čśĆ

I put 30 miles on it today before I got a front flat. I found the gear box to be set up nearly perfect. If the suspension was a little better it would be the perfect bike for where I ride.

I'm very happy with it.

The one think I found strange about the KDX 200/220 was that first gear was so low it was unusable and 2nd gear was so high that you had to rev first gear to the moon and drop it into 2nd gear pretty quick in order to get 2nd to catch and not stall.

Strange, both my KDX's had a terrific gear spread. 1st is a crawler gear, 2nd is still lower than my YZ's first, and the rest of the gears were nicely spaced out with excellant top end thanks to 6th.

The KDX is a great bike for trail riding. I think you'll enjoy it. I miss mine, but still prefer my YZ (not smart enough to slow down just yet).