headlight burnt out

I have a 1986 Honda XL 250R and a couple of days ago i was out riding and had a spill and it burnt out my high-beam. I called the dealer and they said that,they don't make that headlight anymore. The headlight is a sealed beam style it's a 12v 35w/35w. I have another headlight that is made for a halogen bulb and i was wondering if just a regular automotive bulb will work.

I used a 5 3/4 inch automotive headlight in my old 78 XL250. If that is the right size for your bike it should work. It does not have the mounting though. It was a difficult fit and I siliconed it to the chrome rim. The H5006 is the type you want. It's a 12 volt 35/35 watt headlamp.

Actually the H5006 being a round lamp will not work on an 86. 1982 on were rectangular.

I too may face that same dilemma some day, so I would like to know what replacement options I might have. I am thinking there may be a way to adapt a headlamp from a 85-86 XL350R, as these used a replaceable halogen automotive style bulb. Probably more readily available.