can't believe dealerships

I needed an O ring. called all around and no Suzuki or Kawasaki dealership had a simple O ring. All special order. Then if I ordered it the price would double for shipping. :D ten bucks for an O'ring????? One guy tells me that they don't stock every little hose for the bike. I asked him if they stocked anything for the bike. Needed a fuel line a few weeks ago, same thing ๐Ÿ™‚:D I can walk into any NAPA store and get a part for a 67 or 69 Pontiac but, can't get a part for a '01 Suzuki :D :D Just had to vent.

I think it may have a lot to do with what kind of bike you have. All of my local Honda dealers have just about every part in stock that I would need for my VFR. But I run into the same problem as you when I try to get parts for my DRZ. The only part that I haven't had to special order yet was the lockwasher thing for the countershaft sprocket - every other part has been 7-10 days to get ๐Ÿ™‚

I went to NAPA for the water leak and fuel line. Its bad enough to have to order the parts (same for a foot peg I bent) then to charge me five bucks for shipping an O'ring??!!! I've looked in the mirror and sure didn't see "stupid" printed on my forehead. ๐Ÿ™‚

Man.. that sucks.. I haven't had to order anything special for my DRZ yet but when I was ordering more than my share of parts for my old 83 XR350 from the honda shop they never charged me any shipping. THe price was the same if they had it in stock or if they had to order it.

I also ordred a bunch of stuff online and never had mutch of a shipping charge.

Try www.ronayers.com If you know the part nuber.

๐Ÿ™‚ DaMN ! My dealer didn't charge me shipping for my sidecase! Thing is, I told them to order it with their stock order, not as a special order. It only meant an extra two days to receive it. . . Check with your dealer to see if they allow the same thing at their store. I feel it's BS if they charge shipping for all S.O. parts, especialy if they don't stock much. (They are a Suzuki dealer, right?) Don't know where you live, but I live in central Ca. kinda out in the sticks, so I have to drive to get parts, so, I CALL the two dealers I deal with and TELL them I'm price shopping! I feel I get better prices that way. Good luck! :D

The secret to bike dealerships.

Almost anything I want thats not generic has to be ordered. And I deal with a Big shop. Not to mention theres 3 other shops in my area who would give me the same treatment. All you can do is order things in advance and get them like a week or two later. More extravigent parts take more time.

Heres what you do. Pick a favourite bike dealership, one thats not always PACKED with people. My dealership (sturgis cycle) is pretty good that way. I've managed to establish a management/customer relationship where the guy knows my face, knows I buy alot of stuff through him and now after a couple years of buisness I get a solid 20% off everything. That covers my tax and 5 percent of the product value.

Most shops wont do 'cash deals' unless the part is something they stock ALOT of. So really, don't bother asking unless it is. The best route is the one I said above. I can just call in, ask for my guy and give him a few parts I want. Come in a few weeks later and Vola. No extra trip to go put money down on the dang parts.

๐Ÿ™‚

oh and don't try to establish that worker/customer friendship with a young worker. Chances are they havn't been working their long, and wont be there long either. If you do start getting 20% off stuff and the worker of your choice dissapears, shoot for talking to the manager. If you tell him your a long time customer and your used to 20 off chances are he'll hook you up

I'm curious - who calls/shops at Kawasaki dealers for DRZ parts?

I went to my local Kwaka dealer because they are 1/2 hr drive each way closer than the Suzuki one. This was just for the airbox drain valve (you know, the little doo-dad one way valve thingo that hangs of the bottom of the airbox).

Well, here it is 3 weeks later and it's still not in. Can almost guarantee my Suzuk guy would have had it by now. The Kawa guy said it was a 'new part' and 'Kawasaki might not have it yet' (two weeks into the order time mind you). This is despite them having a KLX400 on the floor in front of me.

No idea how the cost compares but this has confirmed by opinion of that particular dealer ๐Ÿ™‚ I went in with the parts diagram printed and highlighted the part too.

Sorry, Rant Off :D

$10 for an o-ring? preposterous. Seriously. If you can get me the Inside diameter and the cross section, I can get you one probably as fast as they can... for free. Seriously. If you can get the measurements, PM me.

$10 for an o-ring? preposterous. Seriously. If you can get me the Inside diameter and the cross section, I can get you one probably as fast as they can... for free. Seriously. If you can get the measurements, PM me.

Thanks, its not leaking and I'm not messing with it :D Use the same stuff I have on my Bird, works great and lasts a long time, can't remember what in the heck its called though ๐Ÿ™‚ This end of our sport is driving me nuts :D

ha ha ha. sounds like yamaha. i had to wait on a damper for 38 days. that is all i needed to get the bike runnung. and a special metric fine thread bolt si backordered too. all for my rs warrior. if it were a honda i'd have it in less than 5 days period.

the info on a fav shop and discount is the way to go. everything i can order o do at my local honda shop. 20% discount and no prepay. the only other shop is a Kaw/Yam shop and i get 10% and no prepay. of course it helps when you buy or trade bikes every 5 or 6 months.

the info on a fav shop and discount is the way to go.

My favorite shop is 50 miles away one way. They had it but too far away to make it before closing time ๐Ÿ™‚ I guess I could have waited but I needed to ride the darn thing. Every shop in the Metro area that was within an hour had the same story.

I priced the oil filter through Kawa and they wanted $19.00 for it when I can buy them from Suzook across the road for $14.00 other then that I do buy a lot from the Kawa shop they have better sevice so they ussually get my business but I'am not paying $5 more a filter plus the Kawa shop don't have the oil I use so I have to go to Suzooki for that anyway and just pick a filter up a the same time.

Ian

who calls/shops at Kawasaki dealers for DRZ parts

Both of the dealers I used to go to are Zuki & Kawi both, hit & miss on pricing.

One day I went for a oil filter $8.00, they next visit, same store $5.49...

I asked if it was on sale, he said no.... Go figure, maybe it was because I bought

it with oil this time...

they both quoted me $40+ for a stupid right mirror....I passed, who needs the right one anyway... ๐Ÿ™‚

i am affiliated with a suzuki shop but dont ask how. The truth is most shops should place a suzuki order at least twice a week. some due the same days every week while others (like us) do it when an order gets enough break about a $40 mark- which isnt long. There are 3 wherehouses for suzuki and 99% of the time the part should be at the dealership 3 to 4 working working days after they order it. I cant remember ever having a part on backorder from suzuki on any bike newer than 1980's besides some accessories. Suzuki parts will be a little cheaper retail than kawi parts for a suzuki made bike and vise-versa. Oh and they should not charge shipping either unless it is something you need asap and it is priority shipped or ordered