Not mech.inclined. Need help in B.C.

First of all I'm the proud owner of a new-to-me stock 2007 DRZ400SM with 5500 kms. I've had & sold two sport bikes, but I've always wanted a DRZ. In love with this thing and really wanted to spend a few dollars to give it a little more oomph and maybe a little smoother accel. Problem is I'm not able to do it myself. Nothing.

Read quite a bit here about jet kits, 3 by 3 mod & replacement pipes. Somewhat frustrating as my understanding is quite topical.

So I visited a few bike shops, the local Suzuki shop recommends

1. FMF Q4 muffler

2. FMF POWERBOMB headpipe

3. Dynojet kit

4. K&N filt. All this would be a grand all in.

Stated they don't use the JD Kit. The one I want, and they would not do the air box mod.

Visited another shop, only able to talk to frontline staff, (hands cleaner then mine) and they told me to buy a bigger bike. Said that any improvement from any mod would be negligible on this bike.

Not looking for sport bike performance, but after reading this forum, I want a little more.

I live in Victoria, B.C. and I see drz's here with aftermarket pipes, some of these have to be jetted. If anyone can help me or point me in the right direction, I would really, really appreciate it.

Thanks so much

J

they have not kept up with the times on the drz.

it's good to know your limitations and comfort level.

i think i'd recommend that you hook up with some of our more knowledgable drz forum guys that live in b.c. to see if they could be enlisted to give you a hand to do it the right way.

as for common mods;

ssw/mrd exhaust system for best power and value

james dean jds005 jet kit--much more complete kit

3x3 airbox mod is a must for good power and throttle response

k&n is a good street filter--they got one right anyway

It all depends on how much money and noise you want!

The Q4 is alright and header is a decent pipe for the noise, but if you want the best pipe go with the MRD! My bike already has a full exhaust but the MRD kills it in power so much Im almost thinking about selling... Want a used RS-2? ๐Ÿ˜ After the 3x3 hole, exhaust, and rejet it will feel like a whole new bike. Gnarly-parts (BC bike shop, google them) has new JD kits for 75$, and its really not that hard to do it your-self, but if you really had to just cut the hole yourself and then give the bikes + jet kit do the shop.

I am in BC but up in the Okanagan. If you are planning a road trip message me and maybe we can figure something out. I have no plans to travel to Vancouver (or the island) anytime soon.

See if you can hook up with some mechanically inclined persons through other riders. Print out some information on each of the mods you wish done, and get together. Everything you want done is pretty much bolt on. If you are not sure they have been done you should get the locktite fixes done (see the FAQ section) which involves getting inside the engine but not far.

Edited by slowriding

Visited another shop, only able to talk to frontline staff, (hands cleaner then mine) and they told me to buy a bigger bike. Said that any improvement from any mod would be negligible on this bike.

Not looking for sport bike performance, but after reading this forum, I want a little more.

J

๐Ÿ˜ I am sure Eddie would be surprised to hear that 'any improvement from any mod would be negligible on this bike'. Last I read here SSW can build these engines to 60hp.

As far as sport bike performance I understand built up SM's will eat most street bikes in twistys if the pilot is capable. It is once the speeds really get up that the difference in HP matters.

This is what you can achieve if you go all the way.

My DRZ is 'most of the way' in terms of power, but not all of the way. I rebuilt the engine with a +4mm stroked hotrods crank, 94mm JE piston/cylinder, FCR slide carb with 3x3 mod and T4 exhaust. It still needs RHC 187 cams to get it to a point I am happy with. Then there is still the option of oversize intake valves and single spring valve train and a flowed head.

First of all I'm the proud owner of a new-to-me stock 2007 DRZ400SM with 5500 kms. I've had & sold two sport bikes, but I've always wanted a DRZ. In love with this thing and really wanted to spend a few dollars to give it a little more oomph and maybe a little smoother accel. Problem is I'm not able to do it myself. Nothing.

Read quite a bit here about jet kits, 3 by 3 mod & replacement pipes. Somewhat frustrating as my understanding is quite topical.

So I visited a few bike shops, the local Suzuki shop recommends

1. FMF Q4 muffler

2. FMF POWERBOMB headpipe

3. Dynojet kit

4. K&N filt. All this would be a grand all in.

Stated they don't use the JD Kit. The one I want, and they would not do the air box mod.

I live in Victoria, B.C. and I see drz's here with aftermarket pipes, some of these have to be jetted. If anyone can help me or point me in the right direction, I would really, really appreciate it.

Thanks so much

J

Congrats on the new bike and welcome to TT..:cheers:

The following bits will give you a healthy boost to performance..without the higher cost of a fully bombed motor..๐Ÿ˜

Keihin 39mm fcrmx conversion kit..$561.66+shipping..

http://shop.thumpertalk.com/ProductD...EIHIN_DRZFCRMX

The carby is pre jetted to suit the drz...some minor jetting changes may be required.A jetting chart is available on this link...

You will need to do the 3x3 mod as well..

The carb will work ok with any free flowing pipe ,but for maximum benefit ,I would be getting a SSW/MRD full system ...$459+ shipping...

http://mrd-racing.com/page05.html

Manual Cam chain tensioner..

http://shop.thumpertalk.com/Manual_C...g_tt_mcct1.htm $48

So far, will cost you about a Grand...Much better value than what your Suzuki shop recommended..

Try the above first and see whether you wish to go internal with mods...

Perhaps later a Big Bore Kit ? ..for pricing contact Eddie at Sisneros Speed Works .. SSpeedWorks@gmail.com phone number is 303 351 2390.

And a set of E model or Hotcams st.1 camshafts..(look on Ebay)

When you go past the B Bore stage to stroker things start to snowball in the cost department....BB and Stroker will require these bits to perform...a 41mm Fcr, RHC187Cams, Stage 2 spring kit ,+1mm o/size valves, Flowed head..

Whatever way you go with mods you can always get helpful advice here on TT for free...๐Ÿ˜

Cheers Craig

Edited by CraigoDRZ400sm

Depending on what the locals and the RC's are like, a Q4 is pretty reasonable. You would likely get hassled if you went MRD. The stuff you want to do is pretty straight forward. Worst part will be pulling the carb off the bike. Anything you can muck up is already covered on the forum.

Don't be put off! I rode all over the Lower Mainland with the jet kit and stock pipe (needed stealth) and was happy as a clam. If you feel you might or if you know you will start modding there are better options. But if that's all you plan on doing for awhile go with it. A buddy in Alberta built his BB with a Q4 and Eddie was surprised how well it worked.

I'd offer to help but nearest I'll be is the Okanagon next week. There are several riders from here out there. ๐Ÿ˜

There are a couple on the island as well but I can't remember the user names off hand.

Thanks for the list.

If there was some way I could get some of the shops here to read this thread, I'm sure life would be easier. Possible they are to busy and don't really have time, or the job too small or as you say not knowledgeable on the DRZ.

Now i have to decide what many have had to do. Go with the keihin 39 or jet the original. Think the MRD would be out as I've heard the police are really cracking down on loud pipes.

Maybe I'll just purchase items and hold on to them till I find someone willing to do it. Preferably right here on the Island, but i wont be picky. Oh and thanks for putting me on to Gnarly-parts, I'll look them up right now.

My wife laughs her ass off when I talk mechanical talk around her. She says stick with health care.

J

A really cheap option for you may be to just do the rejet. Keep the stock needle forget the kit and just rejet it. I cut the 3X3 and then the local shop charged me $30 to do just the rejet. Not quite as good but it was cheap and easy. Made a huge difference just with the stock pipe.

I think you might find that will help with what you are looking for. Then save and do the pipe/carb later. Unfortunately 90% of what is here (TT) is all the go big solutions...

just the 3x3 and rejet was quite nice mine ran well that way for 9K Km. Once I went FCR/pipe/cams the modding just got stupid.... ๐Ÿ˜

Thanks again for the replies. I would almost rather take the grand or so, do what needs to be done, and be done with it. If money wasn't a concern, would it be a better option to go with a larger carb or install the JD jet system? This question will bug alot of people here & I'm sure this has been done to death but I'm checking this thread constantly on an iPhone. I'll do more research tonight when I get home. Thanks for your patience with newish rider.

Is it disturbing to anyone that I got a little turned on when I watched that video?

I'm thinking I got some great advice here. Right now, I'm leaning toward the FCR which is the 39mm Keihin carb, correct? Won't be doing the MRD as I will probably end up removing when the police catch up to me. I'll have to find something quieter, and the 3 by 3 mod. That should do it. Just need to find someone that knows what they are doing. Missing anything?

J

Is it disturbing to anyone that I got a little turned on when I watched that video?

I'm thinking I got some great advice here. Right now, I'm leaning toward the FCR which is the 39mm Keihin carb, correct? Won't be doing the MRD as I will probably end up removing when the police catch up to me. I'll have to find something quieter, and the 3 by 3 mod. That should do it. Just need to find someone that knows what they are doing. Missing anything?

J

Don't worry, its a perfectly healthy reaction ๐Ÿ˜

The stock exhaust supposedly flows quite well for what it is so you should be able to slap an FCR in there and even a big bore and not be too far down on the power over a more open exhaust.

J

Ok ,so the 39mm Keihin FCRMX is on your list ..๐Ÿ˜, but the MRD is not an option...:cheers:

The standard SM muffler is fairly restrictive...

If you want to stay quiet a good option would be to get an E model full exhaust...It uses a 3mm wider diameter header pipe and the baffle can be easily removed and modded...

If you do get pulled over for noise by the law ,at least the bike is going to look standard....

They often appear on Ebay and usually sell for a song....

A slip on FMF Q4 would be the next quieter alternative...(also look on Ebay)

Unfortunately, If you want performance ,you are going to have to make a little more noise...๐Ÿ˜

Cheers,Craig

Being in Vancouver, you probably want to consider the noise the pipe will make. I've heard that they're really clamping down in BC for open pipes.

I'd suggest, figure out what you want to spend...Can be done in stages.

I installed the FCR carb, cut a 3x3 hole in the top of the airbox and installed a Yoshimura pipe at the same time(as mentioned earlier about $1000). The difference in the bike was night and day. The one advantage the RS-2 has is that although it may not perform as well the MRD SSW pipe, with the Spark Arrestor installed, it isn't obscenely loud provided you aren't nailing it WOT all over the place.

It's like a disease though....Once you start, there's no end to the madness.

Cheers