Short landing jumps

hi, so ive been riding recently and as i get better im hitting the jumps harder but not enough to clear them and on one table in particular (biggest one on the track) i land about 60-70% through and most times i fell really sketchy. this is also where most other people land so there are some bumps on the top of the table so this might be a factor.

the bike will bounce back off the ground, or i will get speed wobble and this is causing me to back off and not hit it as hard,

so what if anything can i do to help??

thanks ­čśĆ

When I know I'm not gonna make the jump, I always dig my legs into the bike (pinching) extra hard and keep my elbows up, lean forward. This way, I'm one with the bike and the impact won't throw me off, just make the bike bounce.

In terms of the bounce, you can tune some of that out using the rebound adjustment. But be careful, too much rebound will harm the forks ability to compress as well and will seriously hinder performance in other areas.

Hopefully some others will chime in, I'm still learning myself, but "casing" long jumps I do a lot because my lil bike just doesn't have the power to make some of them, no matter how much throttle I apply!

When im not going to clear a jump i stay pretty neutral on the bike, knock it down a gear somtimes 2 depending on the landing area and as soon as i hit i 3/4 to full throttle making the the front end light and skipping them landing bumps and using the end of the tabletop like a small drop off.

its similar prinipal to old school riding before scrubbing really came in, you were in the air longer losing speed so tou knocked down a gear so you were on the power on the landing instead of getting bogged down in the gear you made the jump on

( i am talking big jumps here not the little things you get)

Swanny

The title should read "coming up short on jumps". You are now landing in about the worst spot possible. With that being said, give it more speed (turn up the fun meter) and get to the down side and it will smooth out for you. Flat landing is some of the most violent landings you will have. You can adjust your suspension to absorb it but then it may become difficult in other areas unless you put big bucks into it.

Here is my advice on how to handle those flat landings with your suspension as is. Just before you touch down be at wide open throttle. Be in a strong attack position. Set the rear wheel down just before the front. Riding a motorcycle is all about the physics. If you want me to take the time to explain the why about each of the steps, just ask. In the mean time go try it and you will see how it works.

landing on a flat surface takes alot of time and road rash to master, i know this all too well.. if you land too far forward you will either endo or the front tire will wash out, you go sliding. touching down with both tires at the same time can be vary harsh on the bike and you, if the rebound isnt set right it will bounce back too far and nearly kick you off, taking time and loosing speed. what i have found the best to do is try to get the back tire to land just a second before the front, it helps smooth out the landing and keep the front end light for those landing bumps.

or you could work up enough speed to clear the jump

for the speed woble, stand up, lean further back on the bike and grip with your legs,

as for the sketching take off, once again be standing (on jumps with a rough face stand up properly, as in not higher then the regular squat/attack position, this will allow you to absorbe the bike should it get kickedon the face , body position will depend on the angle of the face,

and jusrt practice it and soon you will make it to the jump