07 250 sx pipe and airbox problems

hey all, im hopping over here from the 250 r forums after picking up a 07 ktm, what a beast.

only problems ive been having is heaps of mud and foreign material in the airbox which worries me but im not sure with two strokes but on my 250r this would mean death to my motor. anybody know how to stop this?

also my pipe is dented and looking ugly as all hell, anybody know how to clean it up to it looks shiny like brand new? whats the best way to polish it because i want to so my reflection in that thing like i want it to BLIND people with the sunlights reflection ­čśĆ

thanks a heap

no more so all the crap getting into the box before the filter, ive seen the posts of people fixing it but has anybody tried siliconing the holes up because its a real pain in the ass having to pressure wash all the mud out.

anyone got tips on making my expansion chamber shine?

I think he is talking about the air box itself, before the filter. As far as I know this is a very common problem. Search air box and there is a ton of info. Many have glued old tubes, silicon, and a buch of other stuff. I used some sticky sided foam stuff. Works great. If dirt is getting past the filter...... not good. Right after the carb the air/fuel goes right towards the crank for lubrication. As you can see if the sir/fuel has dirt in it you crank will pay the price, as well as your piston. If the dents in your pipe are small then dont worry, if they are big then there are a few places that can fix them for cheap. Cant remember any now, search pipe dent or something. To clean the pipe you can use a ton of stuff. I use nothing more then soap and water cause I am lazy and it is mostly covered with my guard.

yeh mate your spot on, its the airbox nothing is getting past the filter.

yeh i tried soap it just doesnt cut it, i want to make the pipe shine. At the moment it looks like someone has gone over it with a scothbrite(which i have to clean it) but i want it to shine shine if you know what i mean?

I have dealt with this a couple of different ways. What I found to work best is black duct tape under the fender where the fender meets the airbox, between the frame rails, and foam stuffed under the seat for muddy rides.

First thing to do though is to pull the airbox off the subframe, take it apart and black RTV all the seams. I originally RTV everywhere the fender met the subframe and airbox as well. This made a mess and made taking everything back apart also difficult.

The other thing that helped greatly was getting an air filter cover. That way, anything that did get in, could easily be washed out. Now, it just becomes a part of my normal washing routine. Pull the seat and airbox cover, install the filter cover, and clean.

I also put a piece of duct tape over the seat bolt to keep it from falling out and to keep the gunk out of there.

This has been the best and most simple fix for me.

as far as the pipe, you need some type of polish. Mothers or something along those lines.