what is the actual weight of 09 exc 300

i was reading a mag review on the new 09-10 exc300 and it gave the actual dry weight of the bike at 242lb and with fuel 258 with an error of 6.4% from the manufactures specs......?????

has anyone actually measured the bike personaly, is true...????

i've measured my 09 300 EXC, with a full tank of fuel, minus the blinkers, tail light bark busters and mirrow at 114kg (251 pounds), without fuel the 240ish pounds seems about right to me.

09 xcw ( similar to exc) is 221lbs dry so dont know where the bloated 242 lbs came from.

does xcw have an e start mybe that takes a bit away, also the xcw is with no lights i take it, wires coils

Joe

i've measured my 09 300 EXC, with a full tank of fuel, minus the blinkers, tail light bark busters and mirrow at 114kg (251 pounds), without fuel the 240ish pounds seems about right to me.

strange ktm doesnt give a weight close to the true one????

i was thinking about this bike for the weight loss but if you get that with slightly larger tank to get something in the 70 to 90 mile range bush plate bark busters might not be enough to make me do the switch from 4 strokes....­čśĆ

strange ktm doesnt give a weight close to the true one????

i was thinking about this bike for the weight loss but if you get that with slightly larger tank to get something in the 70 to 90 mile range bush plate bark busters might not be enough to make me do the switch from 4 strokes....­čśĆ

I'm not so sure I'd buy completely into what Ttoks has to say about the true weight of the 300. But, I would also contest that there is not a single manufacturer that is 100% accurate about the weights that they post.

I'm not so sure I'd buy completely into what Ttoks has to say about the true weight of the 300. But, I would also contest that there is not a single manufacturer that is 100% accurate about the weights that they post.

your not sure you'd completly buy into what i'm saying? mate what reason do i have to lie about the wieght of my bike?

for a comparison i've measured my old mans 08 kato 450 EXC, full tank at 264 pounds, and my 09 KX250F with a full tank at 222 pounds, there isn't a whole lot in the actual weight when you think about it, but the felt weight while riding, the 450 feels a whole lot heavier.

now you can get the weight down a fair bit, by removing the e start and all wireing (including the battery) and putting an XC ignition cover on, an SX fuel tank (7.5 liters i think instead of 11.5 of the EXC tank) and removing all the wireing thats not needed from behind the light and switches off the handle bars i got my 300 down to 231 pounds (105 kg) with fuel, i ended up putting it all back on though.

Edited by Ttoks

your not sure you'd completly buy into what i'm saying? mate what reason do i have to lie about the wieght of my bike?

for a comparison i've measured my old mans 08 kato 450 EXC, full tank at 264 pounds, and my 09 KX250F with a full tank at 222 pounds, there isn't a whole lot in the actual weight when you think about it, but the felt weight while riding, the 450 feels a whole lot heavier.

now you can get the weight down a fair bit, by removing the e start and all wireing (including the battery) and putting an XC ignition cover on, an SX fuel tank (7.5 liters i think instead of 11.5 of the EXC tank) and removing all the wireing thats not needed from behind the light and switches off the handle bars i got my 300 down to 231 pounds (105 kg) with fuel, i ended up putting it all back on though.

MOre or less just questioning your method and equipment. IMO if you don't have a full sized digital scale that the entire bike can sit on then your results won't be accurate. I've read about some yahoo's putting a scale on each end of their bike to get weight, that is NOT accurate. Granted you may have a freight scale that you're using, if you do then I appologize, if you don't then my comments still stand!!

they were measured on a borrowed scale from worth which is normaly used to mesure duplex ingots (which we sell by weight, and are quite expensive, around $270 a kilo) so i'm fairly sure the scales are accuret, they're calibrated every 6 weeks.

KTM's website claims the 2011 weights 216 pounds. If Ttoks weight the 300 at 251 lbs with tank full, that's 3 gallons. Google search says gas weighs 6 lbs per gallon = 18 pounds. 251 - 18 = 233 lbs.

That's 9 lbs less than the magazine claims and 17 lbs more than KTM claims. Maybe KTM weight it without tires? ­čśĆ

Well I'd not be surprised if their listed weights are off, like I said all manufacturers embelish the truth as much as they can get away with.............

Ttoks says the 09 KX250F with a full tank was 222 pounds. Kawi's website says the 2010 "curb weight" is 231. So Kawi is overstating the weight of their 250 by 10 lbs, while KTM understates the weight of the 300 by 17 lbs? Either there's a problem with Ttoks' data or the manufacturers are nuts.

Ttoks says the 09 KX250F with a full tank was 222 pounds. Kawi's website says the 2010 "curb weight" is 231. So Kawi is overstating the weight of their 250 by 10 lbs, while KTM understates the weight of the 300 by 17 lbs? Either there's a problem with Ttoks' data or the manufacturers are nuts.

Hmm, so which is it? Manufacturer's are legally bound to be accurate, right? Magazines are bound by profits and what ever drives them, even if that means lying! Users are bound by what ever they want/like............!

well mate the measured weight's that i've gotten are actually spot on with what the local mags have measured bikes at over here, i measured 101 kg for my KX, local mags have measured 102 with a bashplate which i removed, mags measured 113.8 kg for an 09 ktm 300, while i've gotten 114 kg, and they've measured 119kg for an 08/09 ktm 450 EXC-r which is exactly what i've gotten, i know the scales i used are accuret, the only discrepinsy i can think of is australian models vs U.S market models, which there isn't going to be much differance.

now i trust the OEM's about as much as i trust a strange looking man down a dark alley, i'm 99% sure my weight's are accuret, and if there is an issue wth them then it mgiht be a few pounds, not 15+.

well mate the measured weight's that i've gotten are actually spot on with what the local mags have measured bikes at over here, i measured 101 kg for my KX, local mags have measured 102 with a bashplate which i removed, mags measured 113.8 kg for an 09 ktm 300, while i've gotten 114 kg, and they've measured 119kg for an 08/09 ktm 450 EXC-r which is exactly what i've gotten, i know the scales i used are accuret, the only discrepinsy i can think of is australian models vs U.S market models, which there isn't going to be much differance.

now i trust the OEM's about as much as i trust a strange looking man down a dark alley, i'm 99% sure my weight's are accuret, and if there is an issue wth them then it mgiht be a few pounds, not 15+.

That's fine, not trying to argue with you Ttoks I know you have no reason to lie about the weights. Its just confusing. I can understand KTM understating the true weight of the 300. But why would Kawi claim their bike is 10 pounds heavier than it really is?

BTW what magazine are you referencing? Are their findings posted online? I'd love to see more acutal weights, but it seems like US magazines don't always publish that info.

Ya it's called "FALSE ADVERTISING" and it's illegal!! Just have to prove it and prove that it's false and not just misleading...

false advertising is illegal. guilding the lilly, embellishing, and making mistakes are all just fine. if it were cut and dry i guess we wouldn't see 14 oz. pints or over-stated mpg on new cars.

maybe they pull the tires off to weigh them.

I don't think you're lying, just mistaken, or else you have a LOT of crap bolted to your bike. Otherwise, I would be quite surprised.

Our 2007 is 240 lbs with a full tank of gas, and including barkbusters and skidplate. Of course it doesn't have e-start, but then the 08+ bikes lost weight in the frame and so forth to just about even it out.

hmm i find it intersting, as i said i'm 99.9% sure of the scales i used, and i've measured the bike near stock (with bark busters and a skid plate which was 115 kg, but in current trim with mx gaurds and no plate its 114) and completly stripped, no e start or wireing, battery, no un needed parts and a smaller fuel tank and that got it down to around 230 pounds with fuel, could have lost a few more goign to a 19 inch rear wheel as well.

actually i just checked the aussie KTM website as well, and they claim 103 kg without fuel (plus 11.5 liters of fuel) which is right on par with what i've measured my bike at, they claim a 9.5 liter tank on the 2011 models however i'm fairly sure it's the same tank as my 09 which is 11.5, and the only differances between the aussie EXC's, and the U.S XC-w is the EXC has a kick stand, horn, blinkers and a mirror as standared equipment, which might be worth maybe 2 kg at the most in total.

the USA website claims 100.4 kg for an 11' XC-w and 98 for an XC (which is based on the new SX frame so is completly differant), but doesnt say if that's with or without fuel.