Just a quick question....96 kx250

I don't understand the question. Are you asking what the range is? As far as when it is making power? Are you asking what the "redline" is? What the max RPM is?

Most two stroke dirt bikes will make more power in the higher rpm range. Most have redlines around 13000 rpm. Most will not make power down low (under 6000 rpm) So generally speaking... the "Powerband" of an older two stoke 250 like you have (I have a 1997 model) will be between say 5000rpm to 12000rpm. You will feel the power falling off when you start going above the "useable" rpm.

Don't know if that answers your question. It is not necessarily a number... more a feeling when you ride the bike. At least for me it is. I keep it in the power range and that to me is the useable rpm.

Thank you so much for the answers guys. Pretty much the answer I was looking for. I bought the bike used for cheap money and now know why,it is my first and after taking the time to actually look the bike over, about the only good part is the engine. Even that needs a top end freshening.

So, im going to use the engine in a race kart chassis and im trying to figure out what my sprocket ratio should be. I had to put a new 14 tooth sprocket on the front.

So Im guessing the engine will be all done by about 10,000 rpm. In other words at 10k it will be time to shift. So, with an 8-9inch tire and a 23 tooth rear sprocket at 10k rpm, right around 100mph. Sweet!!

I am however going to start looking for another bike after I save a few more dollars this time. I know a little more what to look for and what to stay away from.