82 ft500 transplant

wondering what engines i could possible fit into for ft500 frame.

preferably with out alot of cutting or welding

or if you have a xr500 motor or xl500 motor you may be willing to sell i may be willing to buy

You oughta be able to go straight up to a 650 if you can use the other XRs.........just sayin'. Sounds like a fun project. The Ascot is another bike I always wanted to have.

Mmmm, think about potential exhaust swaps.

i know its the sam engine as the xr500 ill have to research it. ive looked for an xr500 engine but there arent any around the tulsa area unfortunatly that i can afford. ive thought about doing a custom exhaust that runs under the tail. but the frame was cut and looks more like a flat track/bobber

some what a roller. ive been buying parts hoping it would fire up im down to the stator. this is my first bike although im not unfamiliar with engines. ive worked on cars and trucks and stuff. the only problem is finding parts for it. there a pain. yeah a high exhaust would be cool too but im really stuck on a sweet duel undertail with those oldschool flare tips. its definatly a project that i got go slow with. expensive hobby haha but once im done i should have a good bike for under 1000

Sounds cool.

FWIW, are you positive you don't have any interlock/neutral/sidestand/etc switches that aren't happy? I'm not sure how much of that crap the Ascots had, but neutral switches have been known to send more than one mechanic on a wild goose chase.

what do you mean by neutral switchs?/ would they be in the wireing harness?i knnow that it got very little spark, the coil was tested and it was good i had to put a cdi box on it because it didnt have one and thenthe gear that moves up to rotate the magnets around the stator stoped going up. so i had to tear into that. but ive heasrd you can bump start them easily because they were natorious for starter problems.

Sometimes engines will have neutral switches that are mounted such that they are actuated by the shift drum. These are generally found road-going bikes, i.e. an XR engine may not have one, but an XL engine will. The hole for the switch will either not be drilled and threaded, or there will just be a plug in the hole for the off-road engines, depending on the factory does things.

Anyway, the switch itself is on the case somewhere. If it's sticky, broken, or unhooked it can kill the ignition.