Foggy Dew

A group of us are planning to do some riding and are trying to figure out the status of Foggy Dew. I am posting this on behalf of our friend that is trying to put this together.

Right now, calls to the Ranger are in to find out the answer but hopefully some fellow TTer's can shed some light on what exactly is open. Plan on camping at the camp ground at Foggy Dew.

The following map shows what trails are open, etc....

http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/okawen/travel-management/maps/proposed_act_methow_chelan.pdf

But this one says some areas are closed???

http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/oka/global-websites/pdf-files/travel_plan_twisp_2001.pdf

So...any definitive status updates?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You ought to be able to inquire with da Entiat ranger district on status. ๐Ÿ˜

We have a call in so far...nothing back yet.

From what I gather, it appears that all trails are open based on the sawtooth backcountry map (showing ORV / non-ORV trails.)

Just want to confirm tho.

I think it's open but not sure if there's snow on the passes, not to get old school but we used to look across Chelan at Stormy Mtn to see if there's snow on it. If it's clear it's good to go. This year warmed a little late.

As far as just being opened to ride, it should be open. There's a ranger station in Chelan that you should be able to find out for sure.

Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

A bunch of us rode Foggy Dew over the weekend. Trails are still open even though the maps are confusing and snow is cleared enough that you can get up to dead man's pass from Foggy Dew CG. There is a fire close to Chelan so check that out first if you plan on riding in the area.

Just got back from an 80 mi. ride on sat. from Foggy Dew,over Deadmans Pass to the Novarre staging area and back.Absolutely clear, open trails. Nothing but Epic riding.We did take a detour s. from the N. Novarre trail intersection into a seldom used trail that was blocked about 3 mi. in by burnt deadfall. That wasmy first trip to the area so I'm not sure what trail that was.

Just got back from an 80 mi. ride on sat. from Foggy Dew,over Deadmans Pass to the Novarre staging area and back.Absolutely clear, open trails. Nothing but Epic riding.We did take a detour s. from the N. Novarre trail intersection into a seldom used trail that was blocked about 3 mi. in by burnt deadfall. That wasmy first trip to the area so I'm not sure what trail that was.

foggydewmap.jpg

Does this map help?

Greg

keep in mind this map is the PROPOSED map (it even has proposed in the title) that was put out at last years travel plan update meeting. From what I understand, it's not official yet and won't be till some time next year. It probably won't change (think that period is over) but it's also not gospel yet.

At one time many years ago -Horsehead Pass was a challenging trail to climb. Not anymore though. East side has been widened/smoothed and rocks have been removed / tread builtup on the west side descent through the rocks. Still a cool place to ride for a weekend or long weekend.