Borrow / Test a hitch hauler?

I am toying with the idea of purchasing a hitch mounted hauler for the KX so I don't have to always take the trailer. I've done a lot of searching and some folks say putting one on a Honda Odyssey is a bad idea while others say they have done it with no problems. It all has to do with tongue weight, rear suspension loading, etc.

Is there someone near Parker who has one of the following hitch haulers?

http://ultimatemxhauler.com/ (or a similar style)

http://www.mototote.com/ (or a similar style)

If so, would you be willing to let me test it? Ideally I would bring my KX to your location, mount the hitch hauler and load up my bike. Then, with you in the car also if you like, take a quick drive around the neighborhood to get a feel as to how the Odyssey handles the load.

I don't care to purchase one just to try it out and see if it is a workable solution.

Thanks!

Buy this one when you decide to purchase; http://www.discountramps.com/motorcycle-carrier.htm

It's aluminum, light, strong, and very dependable. I have used mine for two years with zero issue. The price is worth every penny.

I'm in Loveland, so being close to Parker isn't a help to you. You're more than welcome to take mine for a weekend etc. if you want to see how it works for you.

I have seen many Pilot's, Odyssey's, and smaller cross-over vehicles with them. My friend uses his on a Element with zero issues FWIW...

Brendon-

I live a few miles north of Franktown and a mile west of Parker Road. I have one of the older Ultimate MX Hauler (hydraulic jack raising models) that I use on the back of my Saturn Outlook to tote my CRF450.

You are more than welcome to test it out.

Give me a call @ 303 810-4790 if interested.

Im too far from parker to help, but I can give you some good advice when testing out the haulers is to pay attention to how far out from the vehicle the bike is on the hauler. Here is what im saying. I had a versahauler tray style hauler and recently got an ultimate Mx hauler (older model made by motoJackRack.). The tray style hauler stuck they bike about 16 inches from the tongue. The Jack rack was 8 inches further back.!!!! That is a LOT of extra tongue weight on the truck. I actually ended up cutting 8 inches off the tongue of the new hauler to reduce the leverage and downward force/weight on the receiver. With that extra 8 inches and the bike 8 inches further back I could tell it was sagging my rear end further. So make sure the unit you test and the one you want to buy has the same extention from the receiver or less. I had the tray style for 2 years and it worked great. However loading and unloading with the jack style is a breeze when your doing it alone.

One thing to watch out for these with is to always always loosen the strap next to the vehicle 1st. I watched a guy break his rear window by letting the tension out of the outside strap 1st and the bike leaned over and hit the window with the bars. That's no way to start out a HS race.

I had a versahauler tray style hauler and recently got an ultimate Mx hauler (older model made by motoJackRack.). The tray style hauler stuck they bike about 16 inches from the tongue. The Jack rack was 8 inches further back.!!!! That is a LOT of extra tongue weight on the truck. I actually ended up cutting 8 inches off the tongue of the new hauler to reduce the leverage and downward force/weight on the receiver.

Thanks for the input. I was aware of the added tongue weight due to the extended leverage point. What I didn't know was that the Jack style was further away from the vehicle. Of the two, jack style vs tray style, I actually thought the jack style would be closer. It will be interesting to see how my Oddysey handles the jack style that tchancey is going to let me test.

How does this rack attach to the hitch? Is there just a hitch pin holding it in? How much sway that does that have? The rack I have now is steel and heavy. It has a bolt that torques down pretty heavy to hold the rack sway to a minimum.

Buy this one when you decide to purchase; http://www.discountramps.com/motorcycle-carrier.htm

It's aluminum, light, strong, and very dependable. I have used mine for two years with zero issue. The price is worth every penny.

I'm in Loveland, so being close to Parker isn't a help to you. You're more than welcome to take mine for a weekend etc. if you want to see how it works for you.

I have seen many Pilot's, Odyssey's, and smaller cross-over vehicles with them. My friend uses his on a Element with zero issues FWIW...

Brendon-

Just asking about this....isn't it possible to also bust your rear window if you go too fast through a dip? You know...like on a gravel road (or some paved stuff) that compresses the fork so you lose tension on the tie downs and since the car is also bouncing fore/aft it throws the bike's bars into the back window.

Just asking about this....isn't it possible to also bust your rear window if you go too fast through a dip? You know...like on a gravel road (or some paved stuff) that compresses the fork so you lose tension on the tie downs and since the car is also bouncing fore/aft it throws the bike's bars into the back window.

One thing that I use currently on my trailer when I haul a bike is an 8" pieice of 2" x 4" between the front tire and the front fender. This allows me to tie the bike down incredibly tight and there is zero chance of the forks compressing and the tie downs coming loose. What you end up doing is compressing the lower triple clamp against the wood when then presses against the front tire. Size all the available compression area is filled, the forks have no place to go so the tie downs cannot come loose. There is a plastic thing you can by that does the same thing as the block of wood. The plastic this is about $20 and the wood is free.

I want to post a big thank yo to Todd (tchancey) for letting me take a look at his hitch hauler. I stopped by his house this evening and not only did he hook everything up, he loaded his KTM 400 EXC on the hauler and let me take a test drive with his KTM on the back so I could get a feel for how my Odyssey handled the load.

His KTM is about 40lbs heavier than my KX but I was able to decide that even though the Odyssey handled the extra load on the hitch just fine, the rear suspension is a little on the soft side. If I end up going this route I will need tolook into some sort of supplemental rear suspension such as this:

http://www.suspensionconnection.com/cgi-bin/suscon/4138HV.html

Whether or not I decide to go with a hitch hauler, I wanted to just say thanks to Todd.

Hey Dave,

No problem. I'm just glad you came back with it! I had visions of watching my hitch hauler & KTM ride off into the sunset...that would have made a good story for the kids someday. ­čśĆ

I'm looking forward to seeing the highly modified 3/4 ton Honda Odyssey when you're done!

Hey Dave,

No problem. I'm just glad you came back with it! I had visions of watching my hitch hauler & KTM ride off into the sunset...that would have made a good story for the kids someday. ­čśĆ

I'm looking forward to seeing the highly modified 3/4 ton Honda Odyssey when you're done!

I think you're going to have a long wait on that one

How does this rack attach to the hitch? Is there just a hitch pin holding it in? How much sway that does that have? The rack I have now is steel and heavy. It has a bolt that torques down pretty heavy to hold the rack sway to a minimum.

Hitch pin, and a big plate with 3, 1" bolts that clamp down on your hitch mount so it doesn't sway at all. It really is a great carrier. And the price is sweet.

No way. I have hit dip/bumps at over 75mph that almost bottomed my SUV suspension and the bike didn't even move. The fork is compressed with the tie downs, you'd have to purposely make the bike hit the window if it would at all. With or without my fork support....