2008 ktm 450 exc-r exhaust heat

This thing is roasting my leg when I ride, any suggestions on how to keep the heat off my leg?

It's coming from the headpipe right behind the kickstarter, I already have a heat shield back behind the footpeg

does header wrap help?

summit has a huge store right up the road from me, this stuff should work right? I Think 1" is easier to wrap on our headers tight turns vs 2"

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/DEI-010120/

That looks like the stuff I used - but that's a lot cheaper than I paid. Be aware that the black color will leach out quickly and that that stuff is really sensitive to water spray. Once it has been used for a while a pressure washer will rip right through it. Cuts down the heat nicely and lets the bike run better as it warms up too.

possibly, the power is great, if I abuse the hell out of it I can get some pop on decel but only if I'm near redline and I let it coast down

I'm pretty sure it's been rejetted, I'm going to pull the jets this week to see what it's got in it

The header wrap works well to knock down the heat. I bought the 1" wide wrap at Pep Boys (1" x 50ft for about $30.00).

The portion of the header that I wrapped took about 15ft of material. I put a double layer on to provide a bit more protection.

Soak the wrap in water and put it on wet as it helps you to get it tight. The wrap will last a lot longer if you coat it with clear VHT Flameproof paint. I applied the clear coat on very heavy, until it was almost dripping. I used clear but it also comes in other colors. I wouldn't use BBQ paint as I don't think it has the same temp rating. VHT Flameproof is good for something like 1200°. I'm not sure that anything will help it stand up against a pressure washer but with some care my wrap lasts about 9-12 months.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bwidholm/3292691006/in/set-72157623825301596/

possibly, the power is great, if I abuse the hell out of it I can get some pop on decel but only if I'm near redline and I let it coast down

When's the last time you've repacked? Popping is almost always a sign of a worn or empty can.

I've only had the bike a week, so never, it has 100 hours on it

I am assuming the previous owner rejet the bike, he uncorked it and desmogged it, but I have no records to indicate what jetting was installed, I did an oil change tonight after I rode it, and I'm going to check the valves and the jets tomorrow, and wrap the header if I have enough time

Edited by MegaDeTH

that more expensive stuff goes on dry, I'm gonna try it and see if it holds up good

The stuff I bought from Pep Boys was a DEI product. Put it on wet, fire the bike up and it's dry in two minutes.

I've never used the 2" wide material but the 1" stuff made it easy to get it tight when going around the bends.

I've never noticed getting any slivers in my fingers and I've put it on every time without gloves. Some of the materials may be different than the DEI wrap I used.