2006 RM250 RC edition

Hey guys, I might go look at a 06 and was looking for opinions. I was brought up on 2ts and are fimiliar with them.

Currently I own a 2006 RMZ450 and I wont lie, Its very easy to ride and I like it alot.

What will I gain or lose in handling ? Can a 06 RM engine be "somewhat" lugged or is it a top end only kinda engine ?

I have full RG3 Susp on my RMZ, could the forks/shock be swapped over ? Is there a big bore kit from Eric Gorr or anyone else?

How does it compare to the 06+ YZ250s or the 08+KTM 250s ?

And last but not least, Assuming its in good shape, what would be a decent price? Hes asking $2800.00

Thanks !!

Hey guys, I might go look at a 06 and was looking for opinions. I was brought up on 2ts and are fimiliar with them.

Currently I own a 2006 RMZ450 and I wont lie, Its very easy to ride and I like it alot.

What will I gain or lose in handling ? Can a 06 RM engine be "somewhat" lugged or is it a top end only kinda engine ?

I have full RG3 Susp on my RMZ, could the forks/shock be swapped over ? Is there a big bore kit from Eric Gorr or anyone else?

How does it compare to the 06+ YZ250s or the 08+KTM 250s ?

And last but not least, Assuming its in good shape, what would be a decent price? Hes asking $2800.00

Thanks !!

If it's in good shape, $2,800 for a clean '06 RM250 would be a good price in my area.

Handling wise it's going to feel 40 pounds lighter than your z450, so cutting to the inside of any bike in any turn will be easy. Getting it to hook up will be a challenge as the '06 RM250 really likes to "zing" through the powerband. If you are good at throttle control then this will not be a problem.

The RG3 suspension might bolt on but the springs and valving will be all wrong. The z450 is heavier and 4 strokes load the forks way more than a 2 stroke, so sorry but saving and swapping the suspension is not really an option.

I'm not sure about the KTM 250sx, but the '06 YZ250 does not rev as quick or turn as sharp as the RM. The YZ is suppose to be more stable and have less of a "2 stroke hit", so you would need to decide what would work best for your riding style.

+1 on what Zig said.

The only thing that I will add is that the 2T will make you a better over all rider. You reallly have to ride the bike, learn to carry speed and be in better shape than the guy in front of you and you will win races.

in regards to the 06yz i ride with my buddy and he and i bought them new, me rm he yz at the same time. the rm flat leaves the yz in the cornering no contest there.

engine wise there similar though i done the usual 10oz fww and full pc plat thing..

both would be at an advantage over the rmz in the tight stuff 4 sure

• 7 months later...

I know, back from the dead, but:

I'm primarily a desert rider, but my trails are tight, so a 2 stroke does work well out here. I'm looking to buy a second bike and don't want a clone of my KTM 450 XC-W. My 4-stroke is heavy-ish and not making me a better rider. I'd like to continue using it for long rides, but would like something a little more flickable for 25 mile rides. That's where a nice 2 stroke comes in.

I'm looking at a 2006 RM250 Ricky Carmichael replica. Does it have a linear powerband, or does it have a big hit? I don't mind some hit, just not a chit load. My budget is around $2k and won't put a bunch of typical desert accessories on it. If needed, I'd respring the bike, add a flywheel weight, and maybe get unbreakable levers. That's about it. I currently have a 1996 CR250 as my second bike and want something more modern. But I DO like its linear powerband.

Or if you think the RM250 is all wrong for me as a second bike to play in the desert, let me know.

THX

I'm primarily a desert rider, but my trails are tight, so a 2 stroke does work well out here. I'm looking to buy a second bike and don't want a clone of my KTM 450 XC-W. My 4-stroke is heavy-ish and not making me a better rider. I'd like to continue using it for long rides, but would like something a little more flickable for 25 mile rides. That's where a nice 2 stroke comes in.

I'm looking at a 2006 RM250 Ricky Carmichael replica. Does it have a linear powerband, or does it have a big hit? I don't mind some hit, just not a chit load. My budget is around $2k and won't put a bunch of typical desert accessories on it. If needed, I'd respring the bike, add a flywheel weight, and maybe get unbreakable levers. That's about it. I currently have a 1996 CR250 as my second bike and want something more modern. But I DO like its linear powerband.

Or if you think the RM250 is all wrong for me as a second bike to play in the desert, let me know.

THX

Its all Good. drop the rear sprocket a tooth or 2 and some Boyesen reeds and you are good to go!

THX

Good second bike or not if you can find a 2006RM 250 RC for 2k... you buy it. I don't even see a regular 2006 rm250 going for 2k around here.

Only thing I would add is how nice they drop into ruts...night and day to my 4 stroke.

On the opposite side...

They tend to be a little "twitchy" at times in chop. The bike doesn't feel planted like a 4-stroke...I would guess mainly because of the weight.

Also, no engine braking...you will go through rear brakes way quicker than on your 4-stroke...

But, once you get everything figured out and the track is nice and takey....you shouldn't have any problems in the power department!

i bought my curren 2006 rc rm250 for 2800 + extra pro circuit pipe and silencer. about 5 hours old. Still only has about 20 hours. She is in immaculate shape. I'd sell it for $2800... Its a demon on the track. Hit is pronounced compared to my 02rm250. I really should have gone with a 450f for track.

The rc is about to be revalved for aggressive trails/ktm xc valving and converted to trail.