Bike will not start - need some sugestions

Hi

On Sat my bike 2001 250F started on the first-second kick as always. Went for slow ride with my daughter and I noticed the idle was hanging a little high so I turned it 1/4 turn down. We stopped a few times after that and the bike started as normal. We stopped for lunch and then the bike would not start. 🙂 The bike would not even bump start. I took it home and changed the plug - this did not help. I adjusted the idle screw back but this did not help. I took the bottom of the carb of to make sure the float bowl was not stuck- no help. I had the valves checked a few months ago and everything was in spec. The other two times I have had starting problems with the bike we bump started it and it was fine. I am thinking about cleaning the pilot jet next. Any other suggestions? Thanks

I remember reading on TT from a few members about the hot start crudding up inside which accounted for their starting problems. Maybe while you are cleaning the pilot circuit you can take a look there as well. This could have been a factor in the hanging idle too.

A hanging idle would typically indicate a lean condition in the pilot circuit. Turning in fuel screw would actually worsen this. Try turning fuel screw out or putting in one larger pilot jet. Cleaning all jets thoroughly can only help.

Remember the simple stuff. Turn on the gas. Make sure there is gas in the tank, fill it or turn to reserve if low. Make sure there are no kinks from the tank to the carb. Check to make sure your drain tubes are not plugged. All these basic things can throw many wrenches into the problem.

Hope this helps. Good luck. and let us know how it turns out. 🙂

Try and rule out whether it's a lack of fuel, air, ignition or compression.

You probably know the last one! Check out the ignition by taking the plug out and getting it to fire while holding it against the head. You'll know if there was fuel by a wet plug when you take it out, or by having smelt the fuel while kicking. The air is a bit harder to check. Make sure you have a clean air-filter and the carb passages are unblocked.

Hope you get it started soon!

Thanks for all your suggestions. In checking the electrical there is no spark when checking the plug against the head. Put a new plug in and again no spark. Checked all the wiring and everything is plugged in. Checked the little fuse inside the spark plug cap and it does not look burned. Since I do not have the equipment necessary to detect where the problem is I will have to take it to my local shop. Thanks for all the help.

You might also check the plug cable for integrity. It could be a bad connection from the factory that caused some arcing, that over time, built up carbon at the connections and now is providing some insulation. This usually happens near the plug end of the wire where it goes into the plug cap. Also, sometimes you need to give the cap a good tug to get it off the plug which sometimes loosens this connection just enough to cause the arcing above. I have not taken mine apart and don't know if you can, but I have had some 2 strokes do this, the wire core will be black. Just snip enough cable off to get shiny wire and hook it back up. Put a cable tie real tight around it help firm up the connection. Inside the plug cap is a needle that simply sticks into the core of the cable.

No spark:

--Faulty spark plug?

--Fouled spark plug?

--Faulty ignition control module?

--Broken or shorted spark plug wire?

--Broken or shorted ignition coil?

--Faulty ignition pulse generator?

--Faulty exciter coil?

--Faulty engine stop button?

--Loose or disconnected ignition system wires?

Some of these were already mentioned in this thread...did you say you checked the kill switch?

Good luck. 🙂