Hard Starting after Crash?

HI y'all, Im a new member and a fairly new owner of a 2006 CRF 450R. I love the bike, it beat's my old KTM 525 except for the magic button. Im looking for some HELP with an issue with the bike and Im sure y'all can help or led me in the right direction. Heres a little back ground on me, I'm an old Texas Cross Country Pro rider back in the mid 90's on 2-strokes witch i've been riding sense I was about 5 years of age, so now I'm older I like the bigger bike to play around with โ€” alot easier to ride! I bought this bike after sell my 525 to a friend that really need it and I picked up this 450R from a friend who's going though a BAD devoice and need the money โ€” hence the no magic button:(....... Sorry, so here's the BIG issue with this bike, what's the deal when I fall over I have to kick that BI*CH for 20 minutes.......... Im running half race gas, new plug, and Im not touching the throttle ever and BTW the bike is BONE stock, it still has the stock tires, chain and sprockets - I no the history of this bike and it will kick start with my sandals on on the first kick hot or cold โ€” just don't fall over what's up with that! Any HELP or insight would be majorly appreciated! Scott F. ๐Ÿ˜

I do use the hot start lever, is there not an after market product and some jetting suggesting out there for this issue?? I mean 20 or so kicks after falling over in the sand is just crazy.....๐Ÿ˜ My ride is done after that - or at least after a couple of beers to com down. I'm I the only person out there that falls overs once in a while? This issue really sucks and I need to fix it - SOME help would be GREAT! I do love this bike but this issue is starting to get to me - there just has to be a FIX out there???? Scott

If it starts first kick but doesn't start when hot then I would think the pilot circuit is too rich. A cold 4-stroke needs a rich mixture (hence the easy starting when cold) but a hot 4-stroke needs a lean mixture (the hot-start is just a passage to allow air in). Since you have trouble starting when hot, after a fall, you probably can't get it lean enough even with the hot-start.

If you are in texas with high humidity and heat, I would just change the pilot to a 40 (stock is 42).

If the pilot is already a 40 then it may be plugged.

Thanks "skthom2320" for the info I will try that:) can you make the hot start passage bigger to let more air in after it stalls has anyone tried that - im not even sure that can be done? Is there any outher help out there? Hotter plug, or maybe stright race gas?

No need to make the hot start bigger. Just a jetting thing. Couple bucks worth of brass and you should be good to go...

You might even get away with just setting the fuel screw in to 0.5-0.75 turn or so. But in the high heat/humidity I'd just go with the smaller pilot at 1.5 turns on the fuel screw.

Don't waste your money on race fuel. There is more than enough performance out of these on pump gas. The amount of oxygen in the fuel will affect your jetting and some fuels have more oxygen than others. But the CRF is not nearly as sensitive as the old YZ400/YZ426. I used to have to make sure and buy my fuel from the same vendor (i.e. chevron) so the jetting would stay consistent on my YZ426.

My 05' won't start unless I hold the throttle wide open after a crash.... not sure this is normal, but after I realized this is what worked, it's 1-2 hard kicks every time after I fall. ๐Ÿ˜

Again... I'm not sure if it makes sense, but it works for me.

My 05' won't start unless I hold the throttle wide open after a crash.... not sure this is normal, but after I realized this is what worked, it's 1-2 hard kicks every time after I fall. ๐Ÿ˜

Again... I'm not sure if it makes sense, but it works for me.

It makes sense because when you hold the throttle wide open it is allowing more air to enter the mixture and leaning it out. But because of the accelerator pump you don't want to open and close the throttle multiple times as that will just introduce more fuel each time.