Arghhh! XR4 Jetting Help....

Bike is stock..except for UNI and Snorkel removal. 'Stock exhaust

Once the bike starts up any incline, throttle gets all gurgley. If the bike sits level, it will clean up and rev out no prob, but as soon as I start up the incline again, it gets gurgley again. What the heck is happening? throttle response sucks but I figure thats nature of the beast to some extent.

I've jetted and rejetted. I've looked at all the Honda jetting charts for my elevations in Utah. I don't what else to do. These damn carbs aren't exactly rocket science. Not that much going on in one is there.

I need some help.

I checked float height...I thought. Didnt adjust anything as it seemed in spec. What am i missing here?

Damn Frustrated!!!

I'm ready to send her down the road and buy a bike that runs!

The manual only gives a minimum float drop spec(14.5mm). You also need to set the max drop, as it comes from the factory set way too much. Using the same technique shown in the manual for setting the min. drop, set the max drop to 19mm.

While you're in there, also do the pilot jet extension mod, which consists of nothing more than cutting a 10mm length of fuel tubing and pushing half of it onto the end of the pilot jet to extend its reach into the bowl, helping to keep the end of the jet from coming out of the fuel level on steep grades.

I just went through this a month or so ago. same set up as you... stock exhaust (with insert for a quiet ride), unifilter, snorkle removed. i have a 97 band went to a 160 60 set up with upgraded a16a needle and newer slide. I am at about 1400 ft (i think its considered sea level up to 1600 ft) My bike has been running great. Starts pretty easy cold and hot and just runs clean. When i was searching for set up i found alot of info but mostly with the insert removed but i wanted to keep insert in to keep it quiet. Good luck

Same set up here. Pulled snorkel, UNI filter and completely stock exhaust. I run a 55/155 currently, could probably bump the main up a touch but it runs nice and clean and starts within 2 kicks every time. What rae you running for jetting? Make sure float level is good and the float valve isnt crudded up, main jet baffle (white plastic doo-hicky around main) is on correctly. The pilkot jet extension is an excellent idea, might do that myself later tonight (1st I've heard of that!!) Make sure all vent hoses dont have any blockages either.