FCR gas mileage

1st ride, with the fcr installed, 15/45 gearing, I got 41mpg (down from 45 with the cv carb)and I was blasting on the xrl pretty good. last ride with a friend on a klr, 150mi ride, took it pretty easy most of the time, 100mi road- 55-60mph, 50mi of slow trails-fire rds, I ended up getting 47mpg. I guess the fact that I can now take all the gears lower in the rpm range and can now take 5th gear down to 45mph on level road, (used to be around 55mph) without the thumping thing going on,(which i avoid lugging as much as possible), is the reason for the 47mpg, i wasn't expecting this. I'm running 170 main jet, 45pj, ncyr needle, and the bike is now running 10 deg cooler with the fcr. but better gas mileage?

1st ride, with the fcr installed, 15/45 gearing, I got 41mpg (down from 45 with the cv carb)and I was blasting on the xrl pretty good. last ride with a friend on a klr, 150mi ride, took it pretty easy most of the time, 100mi road- 55-60mph, 50mi of slow trails-fire rds, I ended up getting 47mpg. I guess the fact that I can now take all the gears lower in the rpm range and can now take 5th gear down to 45mph on level road, (used to be around 55mph) without the thumping thing going on,(which i avoid lugging as much as possible), is the reason for the 47mpg, i wasn't expecting this. I'm running 170 main jet, 45pj, ncyr needle, and the bike is now running 10 deg cooler with the fcr. but better gas mileage?

Interesting... your jets are both larger than mine (165/42), yet you are getting much better mpg. I suspect your needle may be leaner than mine. I still haven't figured out how to crack the code on the FCR needles... mine is a NJGR

Interesting... your jets are both larger than mine (165/42), yet you are getting much better mpg. I suspect your needle may be leaner than mine. I still haven't figured out how to crack the code on the FCR needles... mine is a NJGR

if my needle is leaner, that much of a difference? you got 39mpg, i got 47mpg(stock gearing (15/45). although, 1st tank i got 42mpg, blasting on her. 2nd tank, the friend i was riding with the klr, takes it real easy, so i wasn't in the upper rpm range much. doesn't seem lean, running 10 deg cooler(220 down to 210 deg), no pinging, no decel popping, running strong. I'm going to try and raise the needle just to see. i don't understand the needle codes either.

if my needle is leaner, that much of a difference? you got 39mpg, i got 47mpg(stock gearing (15/45). although, 1st tank i got 42mpg, blasting on her. 2nd tank, the friend i was riding with the klr, takes it real easy, so i wasn't in the upper rpm range much. doesn't seem lean, running 10 deg cooler(220 down to 210 deg), no pinging, no decel popping, running strong. I'm going to try and raise the needle just to see. i don't understand the needle codes either.

I am running 14/48 gearing. Also the 102mm slug and cam probably doesn't help my cause either.

I am running 14/48 gearing. Also the 102mm slug and cam probably doesn't help my cause either.

it would be interesting to see if you took it easy on her(no fun I know) how much your gas mileage would go up. it seems like these fcr's will chug gas when you want, and sip gas when not blasting.

it would be interesting to see if you took it easy on her(no fun I know) how much your gas mileage would go up. it seems like these fcr's will chug gas when you want, and sip gas when not blasting.

Yep... I think the pump is the culprit. The last tank involved chasing Scalejockey around on his 650R, so who knows what I might get on this tankfull.