Tires for dual sport?

Just got my california plate on my 450x! couldn't believe it- I just had to sign a form stating all legal requirements are on bike. Now i need to get them all put on and change the tires- anyone know the best aggressive tire advail that is still barely legal?

Edited by old450xer

Just got my california plate on my 450x! could believe it- just had to sign form stating all legal requirements are on bike. Now i need to get them all put on and change the tires- anyone know the best aggressive tire advail that is still barely legal?

Dunlop 606 in the rear, and your favorite off road (pirelli scopion) in the front.

I'm in love with the Metzeler 6 day Extreme tires, especially the front, best front tire I've ever ridden, and it's DOT legal to boot, the rear is a good tire too, I got the 120 rear and it is a little small, I'd go for the 140 next time, closer to a normal 110/120 width. They are the tires that come factory on KTM EXC models. I'm not a fan of the D606 rear, it lasts forever, but traction just sucks in real rough situations, compund is too hard, never ran a Pirelli, but the scorpion or MXCS tires look pretty dang aggressive and are DOT legal. My vote is for the MEtzelers, you will not be disapointed.

Kenda Parker are DOT approved, just put one on the front and it seems O.K. but not a lot of miles yet. There are trials tires that are DOT also, MT43 seems to come to mind but not sure.

I've never been worried about DOT tires, never been questioned. If you need new tires then get DOT if you like the performance, otherwise just ride it.