cam chain tensioner

a friend of mine with an 06 dr650, 4k miles just had to have his starter rebuilt, in order to remove the starter he needed to remove oil cooler lines, exhaust and cam chain tensioner.

he needs to know if the cam chain needs to be readjusted after removing the tensioner, as well as the steps you need to follow. i havent got a manual yet.

he tried to start it after putting it back together and now it wont idle.

thanks

alright that makes sense, i will have him fully retract it and re-install, if that doesnt cure the idle.

his question is how do you retract it? do you need to loosen the screw in the back and push it in or will turning that screw clockwise retract it?

my friend rob says u da man mxrob!

The 10mm (head) bolt at the back of the tensioner covers a small screwdriver slot on the end of the tensioner shaft. If the tensioner is actually bound up right now it's likely the tension on the anti-backup ratchet will prevent the screw from being turned. You will want to remove the tensioner. Turning the screw will retract the tensioner. You have to hold the screw so the tensioner stays retracted when installing it. You can sometimes get away with fully retracting the screw to the stop and with a bit of tension against the screw stop it will hold in the retracted position. Install the tensioner then make sure to turn the tensioner shaft a bit the other way to get it off the stop so it's spring will apply tension. FYI there is a seal behind the access bolt.