Rebound valving on DR650

As some may know the DR650 stock shock is woeful. So I'm upgrading to a heavier rear spring to suit my weight, but I'm going to have to re-valve it as there is pretty much zero rebound damping, and upgrading to a heavier spring turns the rear end into a pogo stick. So I have this pic courtesy of another DR owner on ADV which is the stock rebound shim stack, question is what would I change to introduce some rebound damping to suit a heavier spring? Any suggested shim sizes to go with? Would love to get a gold valve and just have some full recommended valving from racetech, but would like to see how this goes. It is a DR after all, and with me on it, it doesn't really need a gold valve

CIMG1636.jpg

that is 1 17x0.70mm then 9 30x0.15mm

Thanks guys

is there a big thick flat washer after the 17? whats its diameter?

if you can get the shims to hit the limit plate you get a sort of 2 stage effect from a single stage stack. to do that you need a big diameter limit plate and change the 17x0.7 for about a 0.3mm or build a reverse pyramid from thinner shims

the other thing you could do is make the 17 into a 22-24 or so.

Ive got a stack in my TTX that looks a bit like yours, and a have done a cr500 shock with that piston and a similar approach, it works good. if you let me know the limit plate diameter I can suggest something.

is there a big thick flat washer after the 17? whats its diameter?

if you can get the shims to hit the limit plate you get a sort of 2 stage effect from a single stage stack. to do that you need a big diameter limit plate and change the 17x0.7 for about a 0.3mm or build a reverse pyramid from thinner shims

the other thing you could do is make the 17 into a 22-24 or so.

Ive got a stack in my TTX that looks a bit like yours, and a have done a cr500 shock with that piston and a similar approach, it works good. if you let me know the limit plate diameter I can suggest something.

Never mind, I've already decided to get a gold valve kit after researching a lot about this last night, that way I've got some suggested stacks from RaceTech to have somewhere to start from, and revalve both comp & rebound. Plus it has an instrucional DVD, and all the shims I'll need